• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Transfer title with parking tickets?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

240sxman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My girlfriend's ex boyfriend left his car over at her house over 2 years ago because it got a bunch of parking tickets and then was towed. He got it out of impound and to leave it off the street, so it didn't get towed again, he left it at her house. We now cannot get ahold of him to have the vehicle removed, but would like to put the car in her name since the owner cannot be found. It still has $900 worth of parking tickets on it, so I would like to know will the parking tickets stay with the car or will they still be on her ex's record and we son't have to pay for thim?

patstew

I'm guessing it's abandoned property. The DMV will have info about that.

As for the tickets, as long as you don't use the same plate, they should stay with the original owner.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The tix stay with the registered owner
The tix will need to be paid before a title transfer is allowed.

The plates don't matter in this situation.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You may also want to review the following link (not an endorsement):

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-a-Title-to-an-Abandoned-Vehicle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">