• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

trouble deciphering a citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

silent_nick

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

I received a ticket for talking on a cell phone while driving and also for not providing current proof of insurance (I was/am insured, I just didn't have a current insurance card in my wallet). I recently received the courtesy notice in the mail. The proof of insurance violation (V.C. 16028A) is correctable I'm assuming. There is a paragraph on the notice that says "If V.C. 16028A is the only violation you were cited for, you may avoid a court appearance if you had insurance at the time you were issued the citation" and gives instructions on how to deal with this. However, this wasn't the only violation I was cited for. Does that mean this portion of the citation is NOT correctible?

I'm sorry to bother you guys with this question. I would normally just call the court and ask but according to the notice, due to budget cuts they no longer provide phone assistance. On their website (lasuperiorcourt.org) there is no "help" or "contact us" option.

Thank you in advance.

davew128

"you may avoid a court appearance if you had insurance at the time you were issued the citation"

What part of that was unclear? You had more than the fix-it violation, therefore you cannot avoid a court appearance.

silent_nick

In the "if VC 16028A is the only violation..." portion of the notice, it says I would have to enclose a $25 check. In my situation, is this $25 included in the overall bail amount?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">