• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unattended Vehicle Ticket when Next to the Car!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cobalt2970

I was picking up my g/f at the Orlando, FL airport. I stopped by the arrivals terminal and waited for her to show up.

After a bit she came out and dropped off her carry on bag and went in to pick up her luggage. I then waited a few minutes and gave her a call. It rang inside my car. I wanted to see how long she was going to be so I walked out from my car and up to the glass to see if I could signal her to come out and give me her phone in case I had to move the car.

While I was looking for her Johnny on the spot arse hole officer got a tow truck under my car in less than two minuets. I turn around and my car is on two wheels. I run out to say I was right by the car. He says that I have to pay the tow truck guy $15 bucks on the spot to keep my car. Then while I was signing the form he walks back behind the car and on top of the tow truck fee he writes me a unattended vehicle ticket. I told him I was withing eyesight of the car the whole time and I was in the process of loading/unloading as there was already luggage in the car. He told me I had to move the car now and circle around till she showed up. I told him that she was inside and waiting for her luggage to show up and didnt have her cell phone.

He wouldnt hear it and I had to take an extra lap around the airport. Any way I can fight the "Fee" of the tow truck, or the unattended vehicle ticket.What is the name of your state?

racer72

You got an unattended vehicle ticket while your vehicle was unattended? If the Orlando airport is like the local airport near me, you cannot leave your vehicle for any reason. Nothing in your post suggests the ticket was not warranted or improper. If you wish to contest it, the instructions are on the back.

Cobalt2970

I was within eyesight of the vehicle the whole time, I wouldn't call that unattended. What is the boundary then? 10ft? 20ft? People are outside of the vehicle the whole time, and the ticket wasn't even written until I was right next to the car and had already paid the tow truck "fee".

Their wasn't any congestion caused by my car, so if i was in the wrong was due to the letter of the law (undefined term of unattended) instead of the spirit of the law which is to stop people from congesting the airport.

moburkes

What is the statute on the ticket? I found a few, and you seem to be guilty, be just want to be sure. If you the tow truck driver was there long enough to get his equipment under your vehicle without you noticing, how were you "attending" to your vehicle???????

patstew

I was within eyesight of the vehicle the whole time, I wouldn't call that unattended. What is the boundary then? 10ft? 20ft?
I'm guessing ZERO FEET.

Their wasn't any congestion caused by my car, so if i was in the wrong was due to the letter of the law (undefined term of unattended) instead of the spirit of the law which is to stop people from congesting the airport.
If I read your post correctly, your vehicle was right outside the terminal. You're damn lucky you got to be there at all, let alone walking away from the vehicle. And the "spirit" of the law is to prevent terrorism. Butthead.

BelizeBreeze

Dropping off (Level 3) and picking up (Level 2) passengers on the curb outside the main terminal is still permitted; however, vehicles may not be stationary in these locations unless actively loading/unloading passengers and/or baggage. Therefore please allow at least 20 minutes after aircraft arrival time (30 minutes if passenger has checked baggage) to allow for passengers to transfer to the main terminal, and exit the baggage claim area.

You're lucky they only ticketed you and didn't place you on a federal hold until your entire background was checked.:rolleyes:

CdwJava

Out here you cannot even pull to the curb and WAIT. The coppers tell you to move along and you have to keep circling the airport until your party comes out and you can continue actively loading and unloading.

Sorry, but I think you're out of luck on this one.

- Carl

Raqui

According to most states unattended means out of the car. You have to have someone in the car to say it was attended. usually they want you in the drivers seat also. A passenger is not always considered an attendant because they are not in the drivers seat. While usually if someone is in the car they can tell the person to move it. It is not required. If the person cannot drive and move the vehicle you will get towed or ticketed.

moburkes

According to most states unattended means out of the car. You have to have someone in the car to say it was attended. usually they want you in the drivers seat also. A passenger is not always considered an attendant because they are not in the drivers seat. While usually if someone is in the car they can tell the person to move it. It is not required. If the person cannot drive and move the vehicle you will get towed or ticketed.
I disagree. As BB already posted, you can be OUT OF THE CAR loading or unloading people or baggage, and your vehicle would not be considered unattended.

Raqui

Very true, But I know most airports I have visited they want your car parked and you must haul your luggage to it either using your own hands or the handy cart you pay the airport to use. If a person picks you up they cannot leave the car and walk away. they have to sit in the car and only help you once you approach the car. Then they can get out put your stuff in the car and drive off. You cannot leave the vehicle and walk away to help someone with out there being a driver in the car. So far it has been that way for me in NYC, NJ, Texas, LA, mass, Boston, NC,/SC, Atlanta,

maybe in that state you can do that. But what I said is for most states. Which I have been looking up. Unattended means out of the car. Attended means in the car. If there was an emergency and the vehicle needed to be moved immediately no one is going to look around screaming. WHO OWNS THIS CAR? MOVE IT THERE IS AN EMERGENCY!

They usually want you in the car and ready to go. But that is most of the states i have looked up. And of course here in NYC which is crazy with tickets.

I would definatly ask and find out what that particular state says about what is an attended car. This man might very well be in the right and standing a few feet away with your back to the car for a long enough period of time to hitch it up is attending your car.

Most people would say. Hey you didnt notice them hitching your car? Others will say those tow truck people are always watching and are fast!

Either way you have to find out the rule by that state and see if you can get out of it. if not your stuck.

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Very true, maybe in that state you can do that. But what I said is for most states. Which I have been looking up. Unattended means out of the car. Attended means in the car. If there was an emergency and the vehicle needed to be moved immediately no one is going to look around screaming. WHO OWNS THIS CAR? MOVE IT THERE IS AN EMERGENCY!
Post your legal cite for this interpretation.
They usually want you in the car and ready to go. But that is most of the states i have looked up. And of course here in NYC which is crazy with tickets.
Again, legal citation.
I would definatly ask and find out what that particular state says about what is an attended car. This man might very well be in the right and standing a few feet away with your back to the car for a long enough period of time to hitch it up is attending your car.

Most people would say. Hey you didnt notice them hitching your car? Others will say those tow truck people are always watching and are fast!

Either way you have to find out the rule by that state and see if you can get out of it. if not your stuck.
This is NOT regulated by state statute. This is either a TSA regulation or regulated by the local jurisdiction or the airport.

Raqui

So far what i have found out is from parking violation sites and some sites on how to fight tickets.

Raqui

Ok so you cannot give your thoughts and opions on this message board. So far I didnt see anything that says you cant give your thougts and opinions on a situation. To give a person an idea or maybe how you would feel about that situation. What your experience is etc.

From what I know message boards are for thoughts and opinions. For people to learn and hear many views on many things.

There is no moderator or expert next to my name. In fact if anything you would only see newbie and the number of posts I posted is under 10.

I didnt claim to be an expert, I am here getting information like everyone esle. I am sharing a bit of information on what i have found out through other sites. I didnt claim to be someone who is an expert or a legal aid. In fact to find out the truth behind our thoughts, feels, opinions and the law is what we are here for. We are here for clarity.

So I can ask questions and not give thoughts or opinions. It is ok for me to see a question read it, wonder about it but not get an answer. It is ok for me to ask and wait for an answer but not talk about other situations. To say how i feel and what I think and then find out what the law says about that? I see others are here doing it. But why do you have a problem with me doing it?

Last edited:

BelizeBreeze

Ok so you cannot give your thoughts and opions on this message board. So far I didnt see anything that says you cant give your thougts and opinions on a situation.
this is NOT a message board. This is a LEGAL ADVICE forum. BIG difference.
From what I know message boards are for thoughts and opinions. For people to learn and hear many views on many things.
see above.
There is no moderator or expert next to my name. In fact if anything you would only see newbie and the number of posts I posted is under 10.
And so unless you have specific information of a legal basis or a legal education you need to learn first.
I didnt claim to be an expert, I am here getting information like everyone esle. I am sharing a bit of information on what i have found out through other sites. I didnt claim to be someone who is an expert or a legal aid.
you claimed by stating as fact your opinion.
So I can ask questions and not give thoughts or opinions. I see others are here doing it. But why do you have a problem with me doing it?
and guess why the 'others' are so doing?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">