• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unfair Vehicle Towing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lopezesteban49

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi. Twelve days ago I went to a club (Acropolis) and parked in front of a Hess Express (gas station) next to the club, since there were no parking spaces outside the club. The parking space had no sign of being a tow-away zone, so I left my car there. When coming out of the club the car had been towed away. I went inside the Hess Express and asked the employee what had happened? She said she had called the towing company because I had left my car there. So I argued that there was no sign there. Then she said that there was a sign before I had parked there, but that it had been stolen or taken away 20 minutes before I had gotten there. I think she was making this up in order to justify her action. The following day I went to pick up my car and it cost me 160 dollars plus 20 dollars for a taxi. I was going to take pictures of the parking space the following day but was too busy with other things. The following days were similar: too busy to take the pictures. I finally went to take the pictures today (August 30) and found a big surprise: A tow-away zone sign. It is obviously new. The only evidence I have to support my claim is the testimony of my friend who was with me that night. It’s our word versus Hess Express’ word. I don’t know if this evidence is strong enough to win the case if I were to take it to a small-claims court. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance of winning? I would be very grateful if you guys could give me your opinion.
Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Esteban Lopez

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

Hi. Twelve days ago I went to a club (Acropolis) and parked in front of a Hess Express (gas station) next to the club, since there were no parking spaces outside the club. The parking space had no sign of being a tow-away zone, so I left my car there. When coming out of the club the car had been towed away. I went inside the Hess Express and asked the employee what had happened? She said she had called the towing company because I had left my car there. So I argued that there was no sign there. Then she said that there was a sign before I had parked there, but that it had been stolen or taken away 20 minutes before I had gotten there. I think she was making this up in order to justify her action. The following day I went to pick up my car and it cost me 160 dollars plus 20 dollars for a taxi. I was going to take pictures of the parking space the following day but was too busy with other things. The following days were similar: too busy to take the pictures. I finally went to take the pictures today (August 30) and found a big surprise: A tow-away zone sign. It is obviously new. The only evidence I have to support my claim is the testimony of my friend who was with me that night. It’s our word versus Hess Express’ word. I don’t know if this evidence is strong enough to win the case if I were to take it to a small-claims court. What do you guys think? Do I have a chance of winning? I would be very grateful if you guys could give me your opinion.
Thank you and hope to hear from you soon.
Sincerely,
Esteban Lopez
The evidence will show there is a sign there. If you had evidence to refute that, then maybe. Since you don't I'd say do you don't have much of a chance.

davew128

Perhaps you could contact the maker/installer of the sign and ask them for records of when they put the new sign there.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">