• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Univ of California ticket (changes of outdated sign) 2nd level hearing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

empsystem

I'm thinking about taking on the ticket at my UC school. Here's some background information.

Location got tickted: "Lot X"
Parking "rule" (before 01/27): permit A is allowed.
Parking "rule" (on and after 01/27): permit A is not allowed allowed Mon-Fri 07:00-16:00. Anytime except the timeframe is allowed.**
Date and time I got the citation: 02/23; 13:29.

Situation: I was parking at Lot X for than a year before the citation, and it's my belief that most people do not check the sign at the lot they were parking for such a long time. So I appealed for the first level hearing, because I found no announcement in my school's newspaper nor weekly e-mails.

First level hearing verdict: 1. "As stated on the lot entrance sign, the permit displayed is not valid in this lot." 2. "Email notification sent to all student commuter permit holders stating that the permit displayed is not valid in lot 8."

Ground for my second level hearing: 1. As noted in **, this is false. This is backed by Google Cache, and the fact nor do I see a second announcement about this mentioning. 2. I did not receive such e-mail, nor in the spam-filter. I'm therefore requesting a proof of the e-mail delivery, the e-mail content, and the email addresses which they send out, which should include mine. They should provide the evidence because they are the prosecution.***

Question: Are my reasons for second level hearing valid? I know *** is true when fighting speeding ticket, but VC 40230 does not use the term defendent and prosecution, but contestant and agency. And assuming the agency just want to keep the money, what's the likely chance that traffic trial commissioner will rule in favor of me if I take it to the court?

Thanks for reading this. :)What is the name of your state?

MuSen

We Need to Stage a TeaParty on these Parking Scams

I think if youve gone that far youre screwed anyway on the law part. There is no due process with parking infractions and its even worse when its under control of an entity like a school. They do not look at the law unless they are being watched by someone else. And they never feel they are being watched if they are approached by people like you or me. Perhaps you can swing it into a discrimination claim or status "crime"? Maybe they are targeting certain students? (post a university wide message to get people who had early tickets? paid or not and log them) And then start a suit and see if it passes summary judgment but, hell is it worth that money and time to save the cost of the ticket? And can you find an attorney to weave that web?

As a school they have logged the car as related to you in particular so they already know to not pay is to have your records held. Thats the beauty of the permits. They get you to sign a form including the car info so they have a permanent record of the party that would have been parking the car. (if you ever get these tickets again usually its a strict liability offense the only way out is to claim someone used your car without your consent and show that you were somewhere else by affidavit etc.) even then they like to wipe their a** with that stuff.

Who are these hearings people? Level 1 and Level 2. Is there a dean of students you could appeal to or an "office of academic affairs" sometimes those people are more persuasive than you could ever be, to convince someone who doesnt make the decision but is influential to the others, its as good as gold. When you talk to that person dont argue so much the fact that they lied about when it would start, argue it was made ambiguous by the different conflicting messages! (watch the eyes grow wide)

Lastly, there is an agency in california overseeing the "higher education institutions" I forget its name. You may appeal to them yet they didnt help me with an issue i had with a private school. All of these people milk their salary off a system that is dysfunction and in return they breath our air, you see? They are paid to be useless so that you can be bled so that they can be paid to be useless....its an endless beautiful cycle of Satan...essentially satan has dominion over our world and the governments administer what little order there is. They work for Satan. Falling prey to the prevalent badmouthing on this forum, "Do you really think you can fight Satan?" [I smell a deific decree defense coming on]

CdwJava

empsystem said:
Question: Are my reasons for second level hearing valid? I know *** is true when fighting speeding ticket, but VC 40230 does not use the term defendent and prosecution, but contestant and agency. And assuming the agency just want to keep the money, what's the likely chance that traffic trial commissioner will rule in favor of me if I take it to the court?
No one can guess on the odds. However, if the restriction was properly posted, then the citation is valid. Whether it is reasonable or not is another question. A "grace period" might have been appropriate, but is not required under the law.

- Carl

The Occultist

A change of the posted sign is all that is required. The e-mail, had they sent it, would most certainly have been a nice gesture, but is just as certainly not required.

empsystem

Thanks for the replies.

MuSen said:
Perhaps you can swing it into a discrimination claim or status "crime"? Maybe they are targeting certain students? (post a university wide message to get people who had early tickets? paid or not and log them) And then start a suit and see if it passes summary judgment but, hell is it worth that money and time to save the cost of the ticket? And can you find an attorney to weave that web?

Who are these hearings people? Level 1 and Level 2. Is there a dean of students you could appeal to or an "office of academic affairs" sometimes those people are more persuasive than you could ever be, to convince someone who doesnt make the decision but is influential to the others, its as good as gold. When you talk to that person dont argue so much the fact that they lied about when it would start, argue it was made ambiguous by the different conflicting messages! (watch the eyes grow wide)
Level 1 and 2 hearings are appeals read by some administrative staff at the Parking office. It's only after going through these two steps can a "contestant" appeal to the (traffic) court.

I guess won't be asking them for some prior notice, except the e-mail which they already mentioned.

I'm still uncomforatble with sayings like because of the change of sign, because literally, the sign did not change. The (old) sign was added with a sheet of paper that does not come with any authentic/official stamps, signature, etc. I guess the biggest problem is that it is not in accord with the announcement, which includes the allowed time frame for commuter permit. So hopefully, they'll find that to be the case. I'll post an update when I get the outcome of the 2nd hearing.

empsystem

To put an end to the story, I missed the hearing with the parking staff. They did, however, update the sign (partially) on that parking lot.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">