• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is the university assuming parking funds to my account illegally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

arsenalwins24

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Good afternoon, I am a student at Boston College and 'I' received 2 on-campus parking violations in November of 2015. In April of 2015, I registered the vehicle for a temporary, three-day parking permit for on-campus parking, so my name, for those three days, was linked to the vehicle. Since April of 2015, however, the vehicle was in no way bound to me as far as the university is concerned. As far as they're concerned, the only time the vehicle was registered to me on campus was for those 3 days with the temporary permit. I say that because I have no legal affiliation to that vehicle - it is not registered legally to my name or anything. I just had it for those 3 days on campus. Now, come November 2015, 2 parking tickets are added to my student account, despite the vehicle not being mine, or legally registered to me. I kindly asked Transportation to give the tickets to the registered owner of the vehicle, since, as far as I am aware, that is their legal obligation. When one gets a parking ticket, it is the legal owner of the vehicle that is responsible. The University has assumed with no evidence whatsoever and based on a three-day permit assigned to me that I committed the violation. The University has refused to send it to the registered vehicle owner. I received the following response from them: 'The vehicle is registered to you with a BC parking sticker you are responsible for this vehicle while it is on BC's campus.' He failed to mention it was only registered for three days. If the university continues to refuse to give the violations to the legal owner, or drop them entirely, do I have grounds to file a lawsuit for illegally assuming funds to my account which, if not paid, would prevent me from graduating?

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

Good afternoon, I am a student at Boston College and 'I' received 2 on-campus parking violations in November of 2015. In April of 2015, I registered the vehicle for a temporary, three-day parking permit for on-campus parking, so my name, for those three days, was linked to the vehicle. Since April of 2015, however, the vehicle was in no way bound to me as far as the university is concerned. As far as they're concerned, the only time the vehicle was registered to me on campus was for those 3 days with the temporary permit. I say that because I have no legal affiliation to that vehicle - it is not registered legally to my name or anything. I just had it for those 3 days on campus. Now, come November 2015, 2 parking tickets are added to my student account, despite the vehicle not being mine, or legally registered to me. I kindly asked Transportation to give the tickets to the registered owner of the vehicle, since, as far as I am aware, that is their legal obligation. When one gets a parking ticket, it is the legal owner of the vehicle that is responsible. The University has assumed with no evidence whatsoever and based on a three-day permit assigned to me that I committed the violation. The University has refused to send it to the registered vehicle owner. I received the following response from them: 'The vehicle is registered to you with a BC parking sticker you are responsible for this vehicle while it is on BC's campus.' He failed to mention it was only registered for three days. If the university continues to refuse to give the violations to the legal owner, or drop them entirely, do I have grounds to file a lawsuit for illegally assuming funds to my account which, if not paid, would prevent me from graduating?
So were you driving the vehicle? Did you park it on campus those days? Were you a passenger in that vehicle?

arsenalwins24

So were you driving the vehicle? Did you park it on campus those days? Were you a passenger in that vehicle?
No, no, and yes. And say, perhaps, I was driving it, should that matter legally? Is it really lawful for them, with no evidence, to add the cost to my account rather than to the registered owner's?

FlyingRon

Sorry, you registered the vehicle once and you are presumed to be responsible for it on campus. There's no "law" that says the owner is responsible for the tickets. Since you even accompanied the vehicle on campus, on the violation days, you really are responsible. Your best bet is to see if your buddy wants to own up the fines.

arsenalwins24

Sorry, you registered the vehicle once and you are presumed to be responsible for it on campus. There's no "law" that says the owner is responsible for the tickets. Since you even accompanied the vehicle on campus, on the violation days, you really are responsible. Your best bet is to see if your buddy wants to own up the fines.
Yes, I registered it once for 3 days. That's it. I was responsible for the vehicle on the campus for those 3 days. So if the vehicle incurs more and more tickets from other people, they should automatically be added to my account? That means that if someone wanted to, theoretically, they could purposely get tickets and make me pay.

Analogously, if I babysit a dog for 3 days, but a 7 months later, that dog goes off and makes a mistake and bites someone, that's my responsibility? This is my logic, I'm not really sure how I'm in the wrong or responsible here.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
So why didn't this mysterious owner get his own temporary permit for those three days??

Just Blue

No, no, and yes. And say, perhaps, I was driving it, should that matter legally? Is it really lawful for them, with no evidence, to add the cost to my account rather than to the registered owner's?
Of course it matters! Own up to what you did and stop embarrassing me that you are from my state. :(

Just Blue

Because I borrowed the car of said owner for those three days...
Then take responsibility for what YOU did. Geesh.

My God!! Do I have the last two children that are not dumba$$es? :confused::(

ETA: In Ma.

I would not presume my children are the best in the world...But perhaps just in mine!! ;)

Last edited:

arsenalwins24

Oh, I know he is, but he stated that he was not driving.
I was NOT driving the vehicle at the time the citations were issued (November 2015), which was 7 months after I had borrowed the car (April 2015), but they were added to my account on the basis of me having registered the vehicle for a temporary permit in April. Furthermore, the vehicle is not mine, not registered under my name, etc.

Basically, they assumed that because I had a temporary permit for those three days, I was the one constantly driving around getting violations on the car and they added it to my student account, which is NOT true.

Last edited:

arsenalwins24

Then take responsibility for what YOU did. Geesh.

My God!! Do I have the last two children that are not dumba$$es? :confused::(

ETA: In Ma.

I would not presume my children are the best in the world...But perhaps just in mine!! ;)
I did NOT do it! That's my point! I received NO violations in the time I was borrowing the car, which was for those three days. The violations came from someone else in a time the vehicle was not registered to me 7 months later, yet they added it to my account.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">