• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlawful speedometer I do not know how to plea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

2000tdijetta

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
Hey on September 18th i received a ticket in morrisville ny for a unlawful speedometer. I was diving my 65 mustang and the 45 year old speedo was not working. I have a receipt saying it was fixed the next day but im not sure how to plea when i mail the ticket in. Please help me, thanks Brandon

ecmst12

If you want to fight the ticket, you plead not guilty and go to court, present your evidence that you repaired the problem quickly and hope the court is merciful.

2000tdijetta

the ticket has a thing on it extra from a normal ticket at the end saying that if its fixed the ticket will be dropped. i have the receipt but just wasn't sure because i was guilty of it but i am not now. but guilty makes sense and it gives me room for additional information and ill put the repair info in there.
Sound good?

2000tdijetta

I figured that would be a good idea but they had a recording that said they did not communicate over the phone and they best way to help would be to go to court. I want to try to avoid that because of my scheduled and the drive there.
I'm not sure what to do, i also ticket for no distinctive plate/insecure/dirty that i plan on pleading guilty too. (that's actually what i got pulled over for when he noticed the speedometer.) I am stuck now. should i even mail the tickets in together or in different envelops or what?
I'm 18 so i'm not sure what i'm doing here Please help me!!!
Thanks in advanced guys

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
First of all, this is a minor issue so why are you getting all bent out of shape?

How did the officer know your speedometer was not working if you were stopped after another infraction?

There is no such charge as "unlawful speedometer" in New York. What section were you charged with? VTL section 375 subsection what?

This is an equipment violation that is dismissable if it is fixed within 24 hours after getting the ticket. However, you need to submit a statement of correction with the ticket in order to get it dismissed. This is a form that a police officer usually fills out certifying that the equipment was fixed. Do you live in New York State? If so you should have taken the car to your local police for inspection. You may still be able to do that if you get a sympathetic officer who will go by the date on your receipt. Then simply mail it back with the ticket and it will be dismissed.

What was wrong with your license plate? This carries no points and a relatively small fine. There is nothing to plea this down to except maybe a parking ticket so I can't see how this would be worth so much of your time.

Last edited:

OHRoadwarrior

the ticket has a thing on it extra from a normal ticket at the end saying that if its fixed the ticket will be dropped. i have the receipt but just wasn't sure because i was guilty of it but i am not now. but guilty makes sense and it gives me room for additional information and ill put the repair info in there.
Sound good?
Obviously there is a procedure to remove the ticket unless OP is
hallucinating.

I don't know if there is a way to correct the violation & have the ticket go away ... its a speedo ticket...ie odometer does not work .. ie will keep the mileage artificially low ... and with a 65 Mustang??? If a judge has any discretion he may not offer relief anyways.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I don't know if there is a way to correct the violation & have the ticket go away...
Tickets issued for defective equipment are correctable violations in New York. Corrections must be made within a business day of the time the ticket is written.

Intentionally modified equipment, like tinted windows, are not.

xylene

Intentionally modified equipment, like tinted windows, are not.
What is the world does a tint ticket have to do with the op's situation?

Brandon:

You have no choice but to appear in court to present the evidence of correction.

You would plead NOT GUILTY

You would present your evidence at the appointed court date.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the world does a tint ticket have to do with the op's situation?
HighWay Man was simply educating Free_Advice who stated that he didn't know what he was talking about...the tinting was an example used in that process.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">