• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unlicensed Operator Problems

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sternac

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Buchanan, New York

My son, who has a learner's permit, took his brothers car to drive home his friend who is unlicensed as well. An officer stopped him and issued two tickets, one for unlicensed operator and another for having his high beams on. Since he doesn't have a license to suspend, what will happen and how should we proceed? Should we plead guilty or go and try to plea down. Additionally, any idea if he will be able to get his license now? What costs should we expect?

Thank you for your time.

David

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
He HAS a license - it's a permit class D.

Even if he didn't (for instance an out-of-state license) he still has a "driving privilege" which can also be suspended.

He's off to a bad start in his driving career if he doesn't take the rules seriously.

If your son pleads "not guilty" he will get a date for a conference with the prosecutor in Cortlandt, or alternatively the officer who wrote the ticket. I am not familiar with that court having only appeared there once. I can't say what the prospects are for plea bargaining.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
What costs should we expect?
The Cortlandt Town Court should be contacted for this information - each court and each judge sets their own "minimums" for each offense.

By the way, the word "we" does not apply here. Unless you are an attorney you cannot speak for your son - he is the violator and he has to answer the charges, no one else.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">