• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unregistered Car in Driveway- Covered Make A Difference?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYArtist1

Hi
I live in NY State and I have an unregistered car in my driveway. If I cover the car with a tarp or car cover does that allow me to have it in my driveway? Thanks.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
As long as your motor vehicle is not parked on the street or in a public parking lot it does not need to be registered.

If you want to cover it it's up to you but it makes no difference if it is in your own driveway.

Some towns and villages have some strange parking ordinances that may cause you a problem but these ordinances usually deal with parking commercial vehicles in driveways.

Since I don't know where you live it's impossible to say for sure. Check with your local municipality.

justalayman

I cannot find a state law speaking to the issue but I sure did see a LOT of municipalities that did have rules regarding unregistered vehicles. I would strongly suggest you investigate this in regard to your local ordinances.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">