• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unregistered Vehicle / Abandoned Vehicle

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paythepiper

What is the name of your state? NJ

Timeline:

Monday 11/30 in the morning, spotted sticker on my car "This vehicle is being investigated as being ABANDONED", with a copy of the statute 39:4-56.5 printed on it. Sticker is dated 11/29, the day before.

Car was parked along the street, at the end of the driveway of my home. Car was moved into the driveway immediately.

Tuesday 12/1 Check mail and there are 5 traffic tickets. All postmarked 11/30.

39:3-4 - Driving Or Parking Unregistered Motor Vehicle - 11/29/09
39:4-135 - Parking-direction/side Of St-angle Pkng-one Wy Street - 11/29/09
39:3-4 - Driving Or Parking Unregistered Motor Vehicle - 11/27/09
39:4-56.5 - Abandonment Of Mv Subsequent Offense (public Hwy) - 11/27/09
39:4-56.5 - Abandonment Of Mv Subsequent Offense (public Hwy) - 11/29/09

The first 3 tickets are "payable". The 2 Abandonment tickets require a court appearance.

Upon seeing the tickets, I realize vehicle registration is expired.

Wed 12/2 registration is renewed.

I have spoken with only one attorney, who would charge $2000 to handle my defense, emphasizing the possibility of license suspension and fines of $3000 or more if I went in without representation.

Like many these days, money is an issue for me. After some reading online, I asked the clerk what fines/punishment Abandonment tickets usually incur. The total fines seem likely to be well below what the lawyer stated, and the odds of suspension seem low.

I was told I could appear, meet with the prosecutor, and try to settle the case on my own, and if I don't agree with how things are shaping up, I can request postponement and seek counsel at that time.

So that's my plan, but I'm posting here hoping someone will offer thoughts/advice on the number of tickets, the possibility of fighting any of them, the plea bargaining process, and the total in fines/punishment I'm likely to end up with.

Two of the tickets are repeats. Both Abandonment tickets read "subsequent".... again, the Abandoned warning sticker from the car is dated 11/29, which would seem to indicate 11/29 was a first offense. Worst case, I would assume the ticket from 11/27 should be the first offense, and the ticket from 11/29 should be the only "subsequent" offense, correct?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">