• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unwarranted registration suspension

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Ms118

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT

How can I get DMV to pay for the mistake they made.

My car was towed due to officer stating that my car registration was suspended due to lapse of insurance. I have never had a lapse of insurance. When I received a letter from the DMV 4 months prior, stating that my registration will be suspended if I do not send proof of insurance, I had called my insurance co right away and they sent proof of insurance to the DMV. After my car was towed, I called My insurance co to confirm that my insurance coverage was sent to DMV and they confirmed that it was sent. The insurance company emailed me the letter they sent to DMV that reported continuous liability coverage on my vehicle. Therefore I believe this was a mistake that the DMV made. I don't think I should be responsible for the towing costs that was incurred due to the mistakes of DMV mishandling of my insurance details and registration. I want to know how I can get the impounding fees paid for by DMV and was wondering if I can sue them for the damages caused by the incorrect suspension of my car. Such as loss of wages by not being able to go to work due to loss of transportation and the time needed to get registration unsuspended and get my car back from the pound. I don't really want to sue. I just don't want to pay the towing costs which was not due to any fault of my own. The towing costs should be paid by the party that made the mistake. I believe it's the DMV for suspending my registration for insurance lapse, when my insurance never lapsed and even when my insurance company mailed them proof. But I do not know how to get them to take responsibility for their mistake.

Last edited:

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CT
The "preview post" function on this site sometimes malfunctions and deletes posts. But you do not need to start a new thread.

This thread can be salvaged by using the "edit post" feature found at the bottom right of your original post or by using the "reply to thread" feature.

You can add your legal question or concern in either of those ways.

Thanks.

Ms118

How can I get CT DMV to pay for the mistake they made.

How can I get CT DMV to pay for the mistake they made.

My car was towed due to officer stating that my car registration was suspended due to lapse of insurance. I have never had a lapse of insurance. When I received a letter from the DMV 4 months prior, stating that my registration will be suspended if I do not send proof of insurance, I had called my insurance co right away and they sent proof of insurance to the DMV. After my car was towed, I called My insurance co to confirm that my insurance coverage was sent to DMV and they confirmed that it was sent. The insurance company emailed me the letter they sent to DMV that reported continuous liability coverage on my vehicle. Therefore I believe this was a mistake that the DMV made. I don't think I should be responsible for the towing costs that was incurred due to the mistakes of DMV mishandling of my insurance details and registration. I want to know how I can get the impounding fees paid for by DMV and was wondering if I can sue them for the damages caused by the incorrect suspension of my car. Such as loss of wages by not being able to go to work due to loss of transportation and the time needed to get registration unsuspended and get my car back from the pound. I don't really want to sue. I just don't want to pay the towing costs which was not due to any fault of my own. The towing costs should be paid by the party that made the mistake. I believe it's the DMV for suspending my registration for insurance lapse, when my insurance never lapsed and even when my insurance company mailed them proof. But I do not know how to get them to take responsibility for their mistake.

FlyingRon

Even if the suspension was erroneous, you drove while suspended and that makes what follows YOUR fault. Relying on emails from your insurance company as confirmation that your car was not suspended is foolhardy. THe DMV tells you that you will receive a letter within 14 days with the status of your case. Did you receive such a letter?

davew128

OP what you should have done in addition to the steps you took was follow up with the DMV not your insurance company to make sure the matter was resolved.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">