• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Upaid Parking Tickets

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kidstylz

What is the name of your state? Illinois

Hello,

I received multiple tickets in the city of Chicago and I forgot to take care of them and now I received a letter in the mail asking for a fines. It was from some law firm that I have never heard of. My residence is in NJ and I have never gotten a chicago license there or lived there. I was there on a commuting basis from indiana. It has been about 4-5 years since the tickets were issued. I am assuming that it took them quite a while to track me down....couldn't find me and sold the debt to a collector maybe? What are my options here? Is there a limit on how long the debt can be outstanding? What are the negative aspects of ignoring this, besides the moral issues?

Thanks

JETX

kidstylz said:
What are my options here?
Hmmm... pay them or not??

Is there a limit on how long the debt can be outstanding?
Nope.

What are the negative aspects of ignoring this, besides the moral issues?
They will report your debt on your credit record. They might even file a lawsuit and get a judgment against you... then domesticate that judgment into your state.... all the while building up BIG legal fees that you then get stuck with.
Or maybe not. We can't foresee the future.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">