• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Using a residential HP spot with a placard?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Pa Driver

What is the name of your state? Pa

We live in Philadelphia. We have a handicapped spot in front of our town (row) house for my elderly father. He uses a wheelchair now after having had heart bypass surgery a couple years ago. I live with him in the house and my car is registered here, insured here, and has an HP license plate because I'm his only means of transportation and it's the only car registered at this address. I am not handicapped.

Parking has always been very scarce here. People with handicapped placards (hang tags) park in this residential HP spot frequently. They park there sometimes overnight, sometimes for a few hours to visit nearby restaurants and bars. Lately someone who lives nearby but has NJ plates and a NJ HP placard has started parking in our residential HP spot on weekend nights when I am not home. I was told by a neighbor who confronted him about this that he believes he's entitled to use the spot because he has an HP placard. He was also aggravated that I am the driver of our car, not my father, and complained he never saw my father in the car so it seems he has justified in his mind using this spot for those reasons as well as the parking shortage.

Is it legal for someone with an HP placard to use a residential HP spot in my state or city? I've called the parking authority and the police and, this being Philadelphia, have gotten "yes", "no", "I don't know" and "I'll have to check on that and call you back" (without a return call) answers.

Some background info that may or may not be useful. In order to get a residential HP spot in this city you need an HP license plate. A placard is not good enough. The car with the HP plate must be registered and insured at the address where the spot is being installed. A next door neighbor must sign the application also, as it affects their parking (this being a row house). It takes about 6 months from application to the install of the signs. Getting a placard is much easier. All you need is a doctors note. The placard takes about 2 weeks to arrive and has a 5 year expiration date.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">