• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Veh Inspection tickets within grace period

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Donedeal

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I received 2 parking tickets for not having a Massachusetts state inspection sticker on my newly registered vehicle. The state allows a 7 day grace period from time of registering vehicle to having the inspection done. I received the 2 tickets within the 7 day period. On the 10th day, I had my vehicle inspected, but received no new tickets following the 7th day. Upon talking to the parking clerk, she stated, I was still late in getting my inspection done and may still have to pay the 2 tickets (even though they were issued under the grace period).

Will I have to pay these 2 tickets?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Massachusetts

I received 2 parking tickets for not having a Massachusetts state inspection sticker on my newly registered vehicle. The state allows a 7 day grace period from time of registering vehicle to having the inspection done. I received the 2 tickets within the 7 day period. On the 10th day, I had my vehicle inspected, but received no new tickets following the 7th day. Upon talking to the parking clerk, she stated, I was still late in getting my inspection done and may still have to pay the 2 tickets (even though they were issued under the grace period).

Will I have to pay these 2 tickets?
Had you done the inspection on time, you would have had an argument. You didn't, so you don't.

Mass_Shyster

At the time the ticket was issued, the vehicle was not required to have an inspection sticker (or so says the OP). That should be enough to beat the ticket.

but**************

I believe the Massachusetts Statute applies to new acquired vehicles, not newly registered vehicles. At least that's what it says on the registration. ("If this vehicle is newly acquired, it must be inspected within seven days") or words to that effect.

OP wrote the vehicle was newly registered, nothing about the date of acquisition.

Donedeal

Vehicle was brought from out of state so there would be no opportunity to inspect in MA. On my registration, it does say "vehicle must be inspected within 7 days".

I have a hearing scheduled in a few weeks. I'll provide documentation of my registration and my inspection and hope for the best. Anything else?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The 7 day "grace period" applies ASSUMING the inspection is actually COMPLETED within those 7 days. The vehicle WAS required to have an inspection tag, but it could have been dismissed upon proof of having the inspection done within the required time frame.

Donedeal

I had a Virginia inspection sticker on my windshield with MA plates and registration at the time the tickets were issued within the grace period. Does this have any bearing? Virginia conducts a mandatory safety and emissions check similar to MA.

I found this online at http://www.mass.gov/rmv/faq/inspection.htm:
I am going out of state for three months, and my Massachusetts sticker will expire while I am out of state. What should I do?
You have two options. You can submit your vehicle for an inspection before you leave, and if you pass you will get a new Certificate of Inspection valid for one year, or when your Massachusetts sticker expires, you may submit your vehicle for inspection in another state that has both safety and emissions inspections. Once you return to Massachusetts, you will have 15 days to submit your vehicle for a Massachusetts inspection. To determine which states have safety and emissions programs, visit their web sites. For more information and requirements for out of state or reciprocity inspections.

So then wouldn't my out of state inspection sticker actually be valid for 15 days? I completed my MA inspection on day 10.

Donedeal

FYI- both tickets dismissed :D

Was told tickets apply only to the time they were issued and cannot serve as a "catchall" for all time lapsed between grace period and inspection. Just lucky I didn't get caught.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">