• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle impoundment/seizure

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

deeamr3020

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
hello everyone

so my car was impounded for driving on a suspended, the suspension was activated in march and expired in June. and I got pulled over in August they are saying I did not pay the reinstatement fee which I did not because I did not know my license was suspended. so cop right me a ticket that he checked "the failure to produce drivers license box" not the "driving on the suspended" box also on my impoundment report sheet he put the wrong Vin Number.

1. question if car was impounded because of reinstatement fee and I took care of that would I still have to pay the fine for the driving while suspended or will it some lesser charge?
2. will the wrong info on the seizure report make any difference in my favor?
3. will the wrong citation make a difference in in what I am charged at the pound? ( there are different fees for different offenses)

I am told by the department of revenue that I should file for a hearing. but if I do that and loose my car it would cost more to get my car out because it would have to stay more days until hearing is over.

if anyone has experienced or has any knowledge about what chances I have in getting this over turned or paying a lessor fee please chime in

thank you

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
hello everyone

so my car was impounded for driving on a suspended, the suspension was activated in march and expired in June. and I got pulled over in August they are saying I did not pay the reinstatement fee which I did not because I did not know my license was suspended. so cop right me a ticket that he checked "the failure to produce drivers license box" not the "driving on the suspended" box also on my impoundment report sheet he put the wrong Vin Number.

1. question if car was impounded because of reinstatement fee and I took care of that would I still have to pay the fine for the driving while suspended or will it some lesser charge?
2. will the wrong info on the seizure report make any difference in my favor?
3. will the wrong citation make a difference in in what I am charged at the pound? ( there are different fees for different offenses)

I am told by the department of revenue that I should file for a hearing. but if I do that and loose my car it would cost more to get my car out because it would have to stay more days until hearing is over.

if anyone has experienced or has any knowledge about what chances I have in getting this over turned or paying a lessor fee please chime in

thank you
Why was your license suspended?

deeamr3020

the other post has to do with Virginia and is not the reason why my license was suspended in Illinois. The reason my license was suspended was because I fell a little behind in child support do to an injury and surgery plus recovery. I have since then caught up but because I had no idea I my license was suspended I did not pay my reinstatement fee. My other post has no effect on my situation right now at least not until I renew my license which would be soon.

FlyingRon

Just the fact that you got the suspension cleared after the fact, is not in itself exculpatory. How were you charged? It's possible that it was (or can be reduced to a petty offense) but otherwise it is CRIMINAL. If it is still being pursued as a misdemeanor, I'd recommend an attorney.

The errors in the paperwork won't mean much.

The impound pretty much is going to require the same thing either way. You'll need to show valid registration, your valid driver's license, that you've paid the underlying ticket, and you pay the tow/storage fees.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">