• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Vehicle Registration (Incorrectly) Suspended

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blackomen

What is the name of your state? California

OK, due to some errors that happened in the paperwork process, the California DMV never got records of my insurance policy from my insurance company. Because of this, they sent me a letter threatening to suspend my vehicle registration unless I submitted proof myself. I followed their instructions very carefully to the letter and submitted the EXACT document they were asking for. Two weeks later, I receive a notice that my vehicle registration is suspended. I call up the DMV and they say that they never received it when I submitted those documents a few weeks ago. (They don't even have something in their systems saying my documents were denied.) They tell me that the documents were most likely lost in the mail. And now, my vehicle registration is suspended despite me heeding to their warnings and following their instructions to reinstate.

So now I've submitted the documents again a few days ago. In fact, I submitted multiple copies, through email, fax AND snail mail to make sure it'll go through this time with probability 99.999%. Although I live in an area where I can get by without driving, I have an important job interview tomorrow hundreds of miles away. Problem is, even though I do have the documents submitted to reinstate my vehicle registration, it still takes a few days for them to process and enter them into the system.

Suppose the worst case scenario.. the documents still aren't processed and while driving, I'm caught and the police notices that my registration is suspended. However, a day or two later, the finally receive my documents to reinstate my registration and it all goes through. Will I still have to suffer the penalties of driving on a suspended registration? Under the law, it would seem so because my registration was technically suspended at the time.

seniorjudge

My guess is that if you have told the truth in your post and you can document everything to a judge and you show up in court with proof you have your license, then a prosecutor may have pity on you and dismiss it.

moburkes

They asked for an insurance identification card. I submitted exactly that plus the return slip on the notice sent to me.
What was the information, then, that your insurance company was supposed to provide. Was there any lapse in coverage between companies? For example, did 1 policy end on January 20th, and the next one begin on January 21st?

blackomen

What was the information, then, that your insurance company was supposed to provide. Was there any lapse in coverage between companies? For example, did 1 policy end on January 20th, and the next one begin on January 21st?
There was no lapse at all. There was no "specific information" that they wanted. They specifically requested the insurance identification card or any other type of proof of financial responsibility.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
The California DMV has recently (within the last several months) had all personal-use vehicle policies transmitted electronically to them by the insurance companies. At our business, we have several vehicles that are registered to the owners personally, but are insured through our corporate policy. When we mail the registration renewal, we include a copy of those cards each time, and each time the DMV has sent an incomplete renewal notice. Two out of the 3 times, we had them send a threat to suspend the registrations. The surest way we had of fixing the problem was to fax the documents in while we were on the phone with the DMV, and have them confirm that they DID receive it.

Ok - why the book above? <grin> The computerized insurance reporting system is obviously having growing pains. When they reinstate your registration, they should do it so that it appears there never was a suspension. In any case, keep all your documentation. In fact, keeping copies in the car would be a good idea.

CdwJava

Expired/suspended registration is a "fix-it" ticket for CVC 4000(a). Unless the registration has been expired for 6 months or more, you shoudl only be required to submit proof of correction (i.e. valid registration) to the court before the court date and you would avoid any great fine.

As Zigner wrote, this is a new thing for CA and there have been a number of glitches.

- Carl

moburkes

I was looking at the SR22 angle instead. OP was reading the responses earlier, but logged off without replying further.

blackomen

What was the information that your insurance company was supposed to provide? Do you have an SR22?
They wanted to know from my insurance company that my insurance is currently valid.

The California DMV has recently (within the last several months) had all personal-use vehicle policies transmitted electronically to them by the insurance companies. At our business, we have several vehicles that are registered to the owners personally, but are insured through our corporate policy. When we mail the registration renewal, we include a copy of those cards each time, and each time the DMV has sent an incomplete renewal notice. Two out of the 3 times, we had them send a threat to suspend the registrations. The surest way we had of fixing the problem was to fax the documents in while we were on the phone with the DMV, and have them confirm that they DID receive it.

Ok - why the book above? <grin> The computerized insurance reporting system is obviously having growing pains. When they reinstate your registration, they should do it so that it appears there never was a suspension. In any case, keep all your documentation. In fact, keeping copies in the car would be a good idea.
As a matter of fact, my vehicle is a leased car.

moburkes

I have no idea what SR22 is
Well, sort of, SJ. If he requires an SR22, but didn't buy one, then that is the reason for the problem. The vehicle being leased is irrelevant (not being rude).

Maybe Zig was correct, in that, once their systems having finished "growing" this issue can be resolved correctly.

Have you asked your insurance company for assistance?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">