• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

vehicle for sale

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

malopr

What is the name of your state? California

I just got a parking violation ticket in the city of Salinas, California.

Now there is a street sign posted on Nogal Drive between Yucatan Way and Freedom Parkway between ½ to ¾ mile away from where my vehicle is parked. My vehicle is parked on Mimbrera Way between Nogal Drive and Manzano Way. The street sign states (No parking of vehicles for the purpose of sale SCC 20-50 .1 "A") with and arrow pointing in either direction of the sign.
I looked up the this code (SSC 20-50 .1 “A”) but did not find it instead I found this in the City of Salinas Municipal Code:

CHAPTER 20. MOTOR VEHICLES AND TRAFFIC.*
Article VI. Stopping, Standing and Parking.*
Sec. 20-50. Parking in street for certain purposes prohibited.

Sec. 20-50. Parking in street for certain purposes prohibited.
No person shall park a vehicle upon any roadway or on any property owned by the city including city parks and other city property that is open to the public for the principal purpose of:
(a) Displaying such vehicle for sale, lease or rent when the person so engaged is in the business of selling, leasing or renting vehicles;
(b) Greasing or repairing such vehicle, except repairs necessitated by an emergency;
(c) Washing such vehicle when the person so engaged is in the business of washing vehicles. (Ord. No. 938 (NCS), § 77; Ord. No. 1822 (NCS), § 1; Ord. No. 2286 (NCS), § 1.)

Could you explain the part that says this part (a) Displaying such vehicle for sale, lease or rent when the person so engaged is in the business of selling, leasing or renting vehicles;

And should the street sign be posted on every street to indicate what the sign is referring too. Or is one or two signs on the city streets enough to indicate that this is for the whole city.

Thank you in advance
David

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You looked up the wrong section:

20.50.1 (a) reads: It shall be unlawful for any person to park any vehicle displaying a sign indicating the vehicle is for sale on any public street, alley, parking lot or other public property.

CdwJava

Additionally, the section does not appear to indicate that it is only prohibited where signs are posted. There are many violations of the law that are perfectly valid where no signs are posted. I suspect the violation comes with an inexpensive fine associated with it. You can either pay the fine, or you can pay an attorney $150 per hour to contest the section as vague or the street as improperly marked.

Your call.

- Carl

malopr

Additionally, the section does not appear to indicate that it is only prohibited where signs are posted. There are many violations of the law that are perfectly valid where no signs are posted. I suspect the violation comes with an inexpensive fine associated with it. You can either pay the fine, or you can pay an attorney $150 per hour to contest the section as vague or the street as improperly marked.

Your call.

- Carl
what does this phrase mean (when the person so engaged is in the business of selling,)
would this mean that i have a business an am trying to sell vehicle outside of my business.
Because I am not in the business of selling vehicles. All I want to dio is sell my vehicle.
Just curious as to the meaning o fhte phrase>
Thanks so much for your help.

moburkes

what does this phrase mean (when the person so engaged is in the business of selling,)
would this mean that i have a business an am trying to sell vehicle outside of my business.
Because I am not in the business of selling vehicles. All I want to dio is sell my vehicle.
If you are selling your vehicle, then you are engaged in the business of selling until your vehicle is sold.

Zigner

It does not matter if your are engaged in the business of selling (ie: a dealer). You are not allowed to park your vehicle on the street with a for-sale sign - period. The section you are looking at is NOT the pertinent section.
Look again at my prior post.

CdwJava

But here is the section you were apparently cited for:

20.50.1 (a)It shall be unlawful for any person to park any vehicle displaying a sign indicating the vehicle is for sale on any public street, alley, parking lot or other public property.

The phrase you quoted is in a different section - a section for which you were NOT cited.

- Carl

Zigner

But here is the section you were apparently cited for:

20.50.1 (a)It shall be unlawful for any person to park any vehicle displaying a sign indicating the vehicle is for sale on any public street, alley, parking lot or other public property.

The phrase you quoted is in a different section - a section for which you were NOT cited.

- Carl
Yeah, that ;)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">