• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation 39: 3-29B falacy.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tomk92

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New Jersey(Lucky me)

Just earlier I was pulled over for going 81 in a 65. The officer was very nice to me and gave me two non-moving violations to save me the points. One was for my tinted tail-lights, which I take 100% responsibility for. The other was one I disagree with. He gave me a ticket for violation 39: 3-29B, "Failure to exhibit documents". Accidently, I had handed him my recently expired registration card. He told me this as he was handing me the already written ticket. As soon as I got that news, I quickly reached in my Toyota Booklet and grabbed my new, valid, registration card. To this he responded with, "You would have had to show me it at the beginning". He physically saw the valid registration card and handed it back to me. At no point in my stop did I fail to possess any desired document.

My question is, can I fight this expensive, unecessary ticket?

justalayman

this appears to be your salvation:

If a person charged with a violation of this section can exhibit his driver's license, insurance identification card and registration certificate, which were valid on the day he was charged, to the judge of the municipal court before whom he is summoned to answer to the charge, such judge may dismiss the charge. However, the judge may impose court costs.
I would also explain your situation to the judge. Hopefully it will get tossed.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">