• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of Carpool lane

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I put this in non-moving violations because from what I was able to read by searching the forum, VC 21655.5(b) is not considered a moving violation.

I was guilty of VC 21655.5(b), driving in the carpool lane when I wasn't supposed to. The fine is $530. I went to my county traffic court website to look up the schedule of fees imposed by the county on top of the base fine to see how outrageous it is (half of a thousand dollars for something that supposedly is not related to unsafe driving nor affects your DMV record seems excessive). I found out what amount was added to the fine by the county. Then in another column where it indicates whether it is reportable to the DMV or not, it says yes. I looked over the rest of the document and also the document of fees for criminal acts and there seem to be many offenses which don't affect your DMV record that are still considered by this document to be reportable to the DMV. So, just because it's reportable, does that mean it will be? And if so, will anything happen if the offense does not carry a point?

Here's the document I speak of, page 76 is where it lists the offense I commited: http://www.scscourt.org/documents/traffic_bail.pdf

It's my understanding based on other threads I've read that this offense is not a moving violation and does not carry a point because it does not establish unsafe driving, just failing to obey the carpool signs.

And also, my main reason for this thread was to ask how traffic court works since I have never been. I seem to gather that some people appear before a judge and their fine is reduced, though I'm not sure that's something I can count on. At the very least, I need this fine to be split up into payments. Do I need to appear before a judge to ask for a payment plan or can the clerk at the traffic court do this? If I want to appear before a judge, is it as simple as walking into the court and telling the clerk I'd like to see a judge for this offense? And how long does one usually have to wait to appear before a judge? Thanks for any help.

edit: upon further research, it appears it certainly could be a moving violation (and by common sense I would consider it that) but I'm positive I read in another thread that it isn't. That might have been hogwash, so correct me if I'm wrong and move this to the correct forum if need be.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">