• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia resident: Georgia and New York parking tickets. Consequences?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Larg0

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

Background: I have received 1-3 parking tickets in Georgia [GA] and not yet paid them. Since I am finishing school there and will no longer be living there, I didn't plan on paying said tickets. I am planning on moving to New York City [NY] soon. My state of residence has been Virginia [VA] all my life (and still is). When I move to NYC, I plan on selling my car or leaving it in a garage in Virginia. Since I am moving to NYC, I have visited several times and gotten 3 parking tickets. The first one I paid, the second one I contested online and not received a verdict, and the third one I wasn't planning on paying at all.

Issue: If my license and vehicle have always been registered in Virginia and I plan on selling or not ever having my car in Georgia or New York again, do I need to worry about the past parking tickets from those two states affecting my driving record, ability to renew my license, criminal record, or my credit score?

Things I've Considered: Georgia does not belong to the Driver License Compact (DLC). Does this mean the tickets acquired there will not be reported to my Virginia DMV? New York does not asses minor offenses and applies the DLC only for major violations. Does this mean the tickets acquired there will not be reported to my Virginia DMV?

Please give my any advise you can, but I ask you offer an explanation as well. I like to understand the reasons for things so a response like "pay it" would be unappreciated whereas one explaining all of the legal reasons I should pay it, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.

You Are Guilty

What is the name of your state? Virginia.

Background: I have received 1-3 parking tickets in Georgia [GA] and not yet paid them. Since I am finishing school there and will no longer be living there, I didn't plan on paying said tickets. I am planning on moving to New York City [NY] soon. My state of residence has been Virginia [VA] all my life (and still is). When I move to NYC, I plan on selling my car or leaving it in a garage in Virginia. Since I am moving to NYC, I have visited several times and gotten 3 parking tickets. The first one I paid, the second one I contested online and not received a verdict, and the third one I wasn't planning on paying at all.

Issue: If my license and vehicle have always been registered in Virginia and I plan on selling or not ever having my car in Georgia or New York again, do I need to worry about the past parking tickets from those two states affecting my driving record, ability to renew my license, criminal record, or my credit score?

Things I've Considered: Georgia does not belong to the Driver License Compact (DLC). Does this mean the tickets acquired there will not be reported to my Virginia DMV? New York does not asses minor offenses and applies the DLC only for major violations. Does this mean the tickets acquired there will not be reported to my Virginia DMV?

Please give my any advise you can, but I ask you offer an explanation as well. I like to understand the reasons for things so a response like "pay it" would be unappreciated whereas one explaining all of the legal reasons I should pay it, etc. would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks.
Frankly, if you need someone to "spell out" why you should pay your tickets, I'm not sure it will do any good. Suffice it to say, yes, failing to pay either state's tickets can have consequences, not the least of which are the ones you mentioned concerning your driving privileges & licensure in both states.

I remember reading on-line that it will hurt your credit score eventually. But not yet. The reason is because at least one of the credit people refuses to put on file collections from just 1 state or 30 states. It's either all or none.

However, not all of the credit people hold that way, so eventually it will come up to at least one of the credit files.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">