• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WA: Improper License Display

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Dramaking

I'm in Seattle, WA and I got a parking ticket for "Improper License Display". I did not have my new tab stuck to my license plate but only because I hadn't put it on yet. The license was renewed and paid for before the expiry date.

Is there any point in contesting this and proving that I had actually registered and licensed the vehicle on time? Or will they just say that the ticket is not about whether my car was licensed or not, but only about the fact that the tab wasn't displayed?

Daniel M.

Dramaking said:
I'm in Seattle, WA and I got a parking ticket for "Improper License Display". I did not have my new tab stuck to my license plate but only because I hadn't put it on yet. The license was renewed and paid for before the expiry date.

Is there any point in contesting this and proving that I had actually registered and licensed the vehicle on time? Or will they just say that the ticket is not about whether my car was licensed or not, but only about the fact that the tab wasn't displayed?
You got a ticket for not putting the tab on (monorail tab?;>) NOT for an expired license. However this is a fairly mickey mouse offense which you might have talked yourself out of if you were there in person. How much is the ticket? How long did you have the new tabs before getting the ticket?

I would guess at a minimum if you explain why you held off putting on the new tab (you wanted to clean the plate beforehand, nasty weather, etc)
you will get it knocked down by half and provided you have a good driving record you could very well have the whole thing dismissed.

Personally I would return the ticket saying you want to contest the ticket NOT that you want to explain the circumstances. But my hours are flexible so I won't lose any money if I have to go and appear, I don't know how you value your time...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">