• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrants, warrants, warrants! HELP!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

angelgabbby

What is the name of your state? Oklahoma

My husband got several tickets the 2004 year from both county and city police. Because of financial situation, we couldnt pay them before they turned to warrants (heck, if we couldve afforded to pay them, we wouldve been able to afford his d.l., insurance, etc. in the first place!)but he had to continue to drive so he could work so to keep a roof over us & kids. All of them are D.U.S., no insurance, & expired tag. I know the 3 from county add up to be $999.00 (DUS$283.00; DUS$318.90; expired tag$397.80), but I dont know the exact amount of the 5 TPD's ticket warrants (1ins, 2DUS, 1tag, 1seatbelt). He went to court on all but last DUS by county (due to knew had warrant out for 1st ticket), but we had no way to pay any of these so they became warrants.
Now, though we're still struggling, we're doing a tiny bit better but most importantly, we cannot take the chance of sometime, for some odd reason, a situation come up his warrants get checked & he'd go to jail (&here they only give you $5 & $7 aday sitting out fines usually) because w/o him, the kids & I would have no income and I'm not physically able to do much right now. We've saved & saved, trying to get them taken care of but we're still not even close. Is there a way to possibly rework a payment plan or for him to get some of it in workdays, if we paid part of it (at least a few hundred) right then, without them throwing him in jail? Would we need a lawyer? Any rough guesstimate on how much that would cost us?
Thanks for any advice. We're desperate to get this squared away but hadnt gotten any help/answers elsewhere. Thanks.

smblkc

I do sympathize with your situation. You are stuck in what is commonly referred to as the "vicious circle". Have to drive to work... have to work to drive.... It just keeps going around and around and there seems no way out.

The bad news, from what I've seen, is that while a lot of courts may be willing to work out some sort of schedule, the chances of this happening after having a bunch of warrants for FTA (failure to appear) and FTP (failure to pay) are probably slim to none.

Consulting a lawyer is crucial in this matter, and should be done immediately. If he gets stopped, he will most likely be arrested and the vehicle impounded. All of which add to the financial strain and stress of the situation. A lawyer might be able to do a suspended sentence with community service, or something. But, no guarantees.

Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">