• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What gives university officials the right to trump city law?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ironbiscuit

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have been locking my bike to the same street sign all semester, because the bike racks are always full. Yesterday I came out of class to see that the University of Arizona transportation officials had cut my lock and were impounding my bike. I got into an argument with them because they had never once given me a warning saying that it was against policy to lock a bike to street signs and I didn't think it was fair to impound a bike without giving notice.

I'm appealing my ticket on the university website and I see that it says that "lack of knowledge of university regulations is not grounds for an appeal."

My question is, who are they to tell me that I don't have the right to appeal? The university is a non-elected, quasi-legal entity that is going around creating its own laws and issuing its own citations. I thought it was a principle of law that everyone has the right to an appeal and a hearing, and I don't know how the university can choose not to abide by this.

The street signs across the street are public property and it's legal to lock bikes to them. The university is a public university, so you would think the same laws apply. I tried appealing anyways, but if they deny my appeal there must be a way to get this case transferred to the County Court which is run by legal experts and not school administrators, right?

Silverplum

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I have been locking my bike to the same street sign all semester, because the bike racks are always full. Yesterday I came out of class to see that the University of Arizona transportation officials had cut my lock and were impounding my bike. I got into an argument with them because they had never once given me a warning saying that it was against policy to lock a bike to street signs and I didn't think it was fair to impound a bike without giving notice.

I'm appealing my ticket on the university website and I see that it says that "lack of knowledge of university regulations is not grounds for an appeal."

My question is, who are they to tell me that I don't have the right to appeal? The university is a non-elected, quasi-legal entity that is going around creating its own laws and issuing its own citations. I thought it was a principle of law that everyone has the right to an appeal and a hearing, and I don't know how the university can choose not to abide by this.

The street signs across the street are public property and it's legal to lock bikes to them. The university is a public university, so you would think the same laws apply. I tried appealing anyways, but if they deny my appeal there must be a way to get this case transferred to the County Court which is run by legal experts and not school administrators, right?
I can't imagine there is any sort of chance of that. You could always hire a local attorney, I suppose.

It would be ever-so-much faster and easier if you would just learn that there are LOTS of rules in the grownup world and that if you blow them off, you are likely to receive some sort of punishment.

:rolleyes:

ironbiscuit

You're right. It's pretty grown-up to go out of your way to be an xxx to someone who has a legal question instead of giving real advice.

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverplum

You're right. It's pretty grown-up to go out of your way to be an xxx to someone who has a legal question instead of giving real advice.
Ah, so the research I just did on your behalf is pointless. Feel free to google your ownself a comprehensive legal answer, but I'll give you a hint: the Uni is in the right and I have in another window the law to prove it.

There was no teaching you anything, anyway. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:

Silverplum

that's why he is here silverplum. The rules in the student handbook specifically prohibit locking your bike to a sign post.
I know. And there is also a specific statute in AZ law about bikes and universities and all of OP's problems. But if he's going to be a whatever-he-called-me, I'm not posting it for him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">