• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What happens when the person driving your car has a suspended liscene and you knew

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathleen scott

NJ Could someone tell me what happens when someone gets a ticket for driving on suspendtion and you knew about and you also get a ticket? Will I lose my license?

Last edited:

xylene

Can you be bothered to flesh this whole situation out?

We don't know you or your story.

Some key details that MUST be included.

Why is BF's license suspended?
Whose car is this?
What ticket did your boyfriend recieve?
What ticket did YOU recieve?
What is this warning about?
Any other pertinant facts...

Take it step by step and use paragraphs please.

kathleen scott

Ok, It was my car. He got 8 tickets, no selt belt, driveing on a sus. license, not having the proper doc, (which we did have), falure to use turn signal, and I forget the rest. They gave me ticket for not wearing my seat belt, which I dont understand because I did have my selt belt on, they saw us pulling in the parking lot when they saw us and we were out of the car. They also gave me a ticket for permitting sus driver to operate. The officer warned us like two weeks before this happen that his license was sus. Evertime I told him he couldn;t driver he would fight with me, so I let him drive so I wouldn;t hear his mouth, and now I'm in trouble**************.....

xylene

NJ state law-

h.A person who owns or leases a motor vehicle and permits another
to operate the motor vehicle commits a
violation and is subject to suspension of his license to operate a motor
vehicle and to revocation of registration pursuant to
sections 2 through 6 of P.L.1995, c.286 (C.39:3-40.1 through
C.39:3-40.5) if the person:

(1)Knows that the operator's license to operate a motor vehicle has
been suspended for a violation of
R.S.39:4-50 or section 2 of P.L.1981, c.512 (C.39:4-50.4a); or

(2)Knows that the operator's license to operate a motor vehicle is
suspended and that the operator has been
convicted, within the past five years, of operating a vehicle while the
person's license was suspended or revoked;
Your license is subject to being suspended.

Happy Trails

xylene said:
NJ state law-

Your license is subject to being suspended.
(1)Knows that the operator's license to operate a motor vehicle has been suspended for a violation of R.S.39:4-50 or section 2 of P.L.1981, c.512 (C.39:4-50.4a); or
Since his license wasn't suspended for DUI, she doesn't fall under that part of the statute.

(2)Knows that the operator's license to operate a motor vehicle is suspended and that the operator has been convicted, within the past five years, of operating a vehicle while the person's license was suspended or revoked;
He wasn't convicted of this offense before, so unless there is another citation # this statute is poorly written.

Last edited:

xylene

My bad, I was reading the OP as he had been convicted for driving on suspension before.

Personally I think this is a stupid law aimed at stupid people. Finding someone "knowingly" did anything (esp. in traffic court) seems like an awful waste of time.

Let's just jail those whom drive on suspension.

This kind of citizen enforcement of laws to deal with a massive failure of policing is just what one would expect from Jersey. New Jersey, the state the deals with left turn collisions by builing concrete barriers on just about every road...

Happy Trails

xylene said:
My bad, I was reading the OP as he had been convicted for driving on suspension before.

Personally I think this is a stupid law aimed at stupid people. Finding someone "knowingly" did anything (esp. in traffic court) seems like an awful waste of time.

Let's just jail those whom drive on suspension.

This kind of citizen enforcement of laws to deal with a massive failure of policing is just what one would expect from Jersey. New Jersey, the state the deals with left turn collisions by builing concrete barriers on just about every road...
IMO, I do think that is the one she is being charged with. (That is why I provided that link.) I just figured she didn't read far enough down.

If this is the NJSA 39:3-40 (3) (h) (1 or 2) that she's being charged with, I don't see how they can make it stick.

I would never knowingly let someone drive my vehicle with a suspended license (actually I don't like anyone to drive it anyway).

They were even warned two weeks earlier. :eek:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">