• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is the law of having a car cover on your car on the streets. in CA.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

blau

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? ca

In CA is it against the law to have a car cover on the street? If so what is the exact law that governs it.

The reason I ask is that I like to park in front of my own house. And if someone parks in front of my house when they move I move my car and park there again.

Well someone (most likely someone on my street) reported my car as being park there for more then 72 hours. Got a red tag threatening that they will towed my car if it has not been move in 72 hours. This car is a 2006 but most would say it look like a 3 yr old car. And I have a car cover on it. Obvious I have people around me that have a problem with what I do.

It is not an issue driving the car every 72 hours it get driven often. But I was told that it is against the law to have a car cover on my car on the street in California.

Does anyone know the exact law regarding this matter???

AdoptADog

CVC 5201 (b) (1) states that you can cover your vehicle...BUT...if your municipality or HOA has other rules, you need to abide by them as well.

(1) The installation of a cover over a lawfully parked vehicle to
protect it from the weather and the elements does not constitute a
violation of this subdivision. A peace officer or other regularly
salaried employee of a public agency designated to enforce laws,
including local ordinances, relating to the parking of vehicles may
temporarily remove so much of the cover as is necessary to inspect
any license plate, tab, or indicia of registration on a vehicle.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">