• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What Notice Must the Police Give to You Before Towing Your Car

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Xray

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Here is the situation it is a residential area in fact in front of my house. I parked my car in front of my house. I got my car marked and a orange "courtesy notice" place on my car say it is against the law to park more than 72 hours and unless I move my car at least 1/10 of a mile my car is subject to towing. So I moved it so that was that. But this was 3 or 4 times this year on one of my cars and twice on another one of my cars both parked in front of my house. Upon investigation the city said they are responding to complaints it is probably made by a person near me. The complaint can be anomalously made over the net. In fact you can be a 5 year kid make a "crank" complaint. Also my objective observation show there are at least two other cars that have not been move for extensive period of time (way more than 72) hours that have not been marked. So they really respond to complaints. So I am subject to the complaints of my neighbors. The simplest explanation is that they are jealous of all the nice cars I have. I have been at this house for more than 10 years now but this just started this year.

If they continue to mark my car and place a sign on my car before towing it that is fine. When I get the sign I just make sure to move it within 72 hours (when I go on vacation I just have to arrange to make sure my cars are taken care of.

But my question is/are the police legally require to mark my car and/or place a sign on my car before they tow it. And if so what is the exact law in California. The reason I am concern is that the police website call it a "courtesy notice" (meaning not require). I just want to make sure they just can't look at the car and decide on the spot that it has not been move in 72 hours and tow it. Are they legally require to mark the car come back to determined I have not move it in 72 hours then tow it. Are they require to place a notice??? If so what are the CA law that cover this situation.

CdwJava

The California Vehicle Code permits cities to enact ordinances restricting parking on the street to 72 hours (or more). If your city has a 72 hour time limit, they are not required to warn you they can simply cite your vehicle after 72 hours. Typically, the tires will be marked in some way and after 72 hours an officer or parking enforcement person will come back to issue the cite. So, it might be in your best interest to either move the vehicles every couple days, or, find a way to park them all in your driveway and/or garage.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">