• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What should my friend do to take care of a traffic ticket out of the country??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

esamisa

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My friend received a traffic ticket right before she was to travel to another country where her family lived. The ticket was for holding a phone in her hand and having an out of state license plate + drivers license when she has been actually living in California for around 5 years. She was going to take care of it soon as she came back from her travels (I think she has to correct it and get it checked right?) but while she was traveling, she discovered she had a cancer and had to get surgery. She's getting chemotherapy right now in another country and won't be back until september or so - her court date is next month. I tried calling the court house but they haven't been picking up so I plan on going there myself, but is there anything else she should/can do in this situation??

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

My friend received a traffic ticket right before she was to travel to another country where her family lived. The ticket was for holding a phone in her hand and having an out of state license plate + drivers license when she has been actually living in California for around 5 years. She was going to take care of it soon as she came back from her travels (I think she has to correct it and get it checked right?) but while she was traveling, she discovered she had a cancer and had to get surgery. She's getting chemotherapy right now in another country and won't be back until september or so - her court date is next month. I tried calling the court house but they haven't been picking up so I plan on going there myself, but is there anything else she should/can do in this situation??
You really can't do anything. Your friend should contact the court.

esamisa

You really can't do anything. Your friend should contact the court.
I've been trying to call the court myself but they are not picking up the phone so I'm pretty sure she will have the same result... is there anything she or I can do? (write a letter??)

Silverplum

I've been trying to call the court myself but they are not picking up the phone so I'm pretty sure she will have the same result... is there anything she or I can do? (write a letter??)
You can not act on her behalf, unless you are an attorney.

SHE has to handle this, or hire an attorney to do so.

Just Blue

:rolleyes::rolleyes:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
The bottom line is that you cannot do anything for your friend. Either she has to deal with it herself or she needs to hire an attorney to at least have the case adjourned until she returns.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">