• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What will happen if I can't afford ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LaStar00

Ohio. I got a traffic ticket and explained to the officer i'm on walefare and have no income and no way to pay. what would happen in court? I just graduated college and can not find a job to save my life. I'm a single parent who gets welfare with no income including court ordered child support. Can I explain this to the judge, and what would he do? :confused:

HomeGuru

Ohio. I got a traffic ticket and explained to the officer i'm on walefare and have no income and no way to pay. what would happen in court? I just graduated college and can not find a job to save my life. I'm a single parent who gets welfare with no income including court ordered child support. Can I explain this to the judge, and what would he do? :confused:
**A: are you a citizen of Wales?

LaStar00

Drive my mom's care and she can't afford anything either. How can I ask for payment plan with no job? Makes no sense now does it? No one hiring all say i'm too over qualified having a degree

You Are Guilty

Eventually, if the ticket is upheld and you do not pay it, you will rack up thousands of dollars in fines and late fees, and run the risk of having the car towed and potentially even being arrested (depending on how the courts by you handle failures to pay).

In other words, you pay now, or you pay later, but at some point, you will pay.

LaStar00

CAR IS NOT MINe. In mother's name. When he gave me the ticket I didn't sign my name just put an x. So do I really have to pay even though I didn't sign my name and just put an X or scrimble where it said sign?

CourtClerk

CAR IS NOT MINe. In mother's name. When he gave me the ticket I didn't sign my name just put an x. So do I really have to pay even though I didn't sign my name and just put an X or scrimble where it said sign?
Just great. Living off of my hard earned money AND dishonest. If you can't afford to drive, then don't do it... in anyone's car. Just like if you can't afford to have babies, don't have them either.

quincy

LaStar, I know in Michigan that traffic ticket amounts can be "worked off" by doing community service. I did not check to see if Ohio has a similar program for low-income individuals, but it might be worth your while to check on this. I have got to tell you, though, that the number of community service hours required is a LOT. But there could be this option for you.

Edit to add:
I just checked and Ohio does, indeed, have a similar program for those who cannot afford to pay fines. You will be given a number of community hours to serve and a time within which these hours must be served, but you will not have to come up with the money for the ticket.

An advantage you might find in this, in your particular situation, is that oftentimes, by doing community service, you can meet people who can help direct you to possible paying positions available in the community.

Last edited:

LaStar00

One I do not collect or reicieve any money. I just get medical and foot stamps. I dunno if they do communituy service. If they do i might do they if they are around the hours my son is in school 9-4. Other than that I HAVE NO ONE to watch him. Life is tough right now nad no one hiring. Tried job fairs and many places including tempary agencies adn they all say i'm too educated. But i'll probably go to court and hope the cop doesn't show. Thanks all one love

quincy

I wouldn't count on getting out of the ticket based on the officer not showing up. I would explain your situation, however, and ask about the community service hours in lieu of the traffic fine. You should be able to work the hours while your son is in school.

Michigan is suffering economically, too, Lastar, and there are many people in your situation. And it is certainly harder when you have a son to care for at the same time.

But, like I said, the community service hours you work (and Ohio does offer these hours to those who are indigent) could lead to a job - and it certainly helps to be out working (even when it is not paid work) because you have the opportunity to meet people who can help you in your job search.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">