• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What would you do?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NH driver

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH. I was recently pulled over for having an expired license during a random license plate check. My license was expired by 10 days and I was given a summons to appear in court. I admitted to officer that it was my fault as I mistakenly thought I had to the end of the month to renew my license (like vehicle registrations). I have never had a ticket or violation in 25 yrs of driving. The officer was pleasant and said he would talk to the prosecutor. I renewed my license the next morning after receiving the summons. I just received a letter in mail from prosecutor stating that if I agree to plee guilty I will receive a $124 fine and that I need to contact him before the court date to let him know if I agreed with the deal. My concern is not so much the fine but potentially having this violation on my record. Should I accept his offer and contact him or take my chances with the judge? Either way I still have to appear in court regardless of whether or not I accept the deal.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Well, what would be pleading guilty to?

And what would the usual fine be? Those are questions you need to ask before making a decision.

LdiJ

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NH. I was recently pulled over for having an expired license during a random license plate check. My license was expired by 10 days and I was given a summons to appear in court. I admitted to officer that it was my fault as I mistakenly thought I had to the end of the month to renew my license (like vehicle registrations). I have never had a ticket or violation in 25 yrs of driving. The officer was pleasant and said he would talk to the prosecutor. I renewed my license the next morning after receiving the summons. I just received a letter in mail from prosecutor stating that if I agree to plee guilty I will receive a $124 fine and that I need to contact him before the court date to let him know if I agreed with the deal. My concern is not so much the fine but potentially having this violation on my record. Should I accept his offer and contact him or take my chances with the judge? Either way I still have to appear in court regardless of whether or not I accept the deal.
I agree with Highwayman, you need to know what you will be pleading guilty to...however, a $124.00 fine would generally indicate a pretty minor infraction...and is a pretty inexpensive way out of the problem. After all, you did mess up and not get your license renewed on time.

NH driver

Well, what would be pleading guilty to?

And what would the usual fine be? Those are questions you need to ask before making a decision.
Invalid License. I could not find the the usual fine so I am not sure if this is the normal amount. Price seems cheap and I have no hesitation paying that amount. My concern is getting points on my license. Is this something I can discuss with the prosecutor ?

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
You need to know ahead of time whether there are even any points associated with the charge. If not then you might as well not even argue or discuss anything with the prosecutor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">