• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Where can I find legal proof on cul-de-sac parking in NYC

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ACnyc

I also live in a cul-de-sac in NYC where people nose their cars in between the driveways because they cant fit parallel. Its a small cul-de-sac and people cant even turn around in it. Its terrible. One cop said "Duhhh I dont know if its illegal". Are there written laws that clearly state rules of cul-de-sac parking? Thanks!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I also live in a cul-de-sac in NYC where people nose their cars in between the driveways because they cant fit parallel. Its a small cul-de-sac and people cant even turn around in it. Its terrible. One cop said "Duhhh I dont know if its illegal". Are there written laws that clearly state rules of cul-de-sac parking? Thanks!
ETA: The cop is likely not a parking enforcement officer, so he'd have to look it up (like I just did):

(m) Additional parking rules. (1) Wrong way parking prohibited. Except where angle parking is authorized, every vehicle stopped, standing, or parked partly upon a roadway shall be so stopped, standing or parked parallel to the curb or edge of the roadway. On a one-way roadway such vehicle shall be facing in the direction of authorized traffic movement; on a two-way roadway such vehicle shall be facing in the direction of authorized traffic movement on that portion of the roadway on which the vehicle rests.
(2) Angle standing or parking. No person shall place a vehicle at an angle to the curb, except when such angle placement is authorized by these rules or by signs or markings. Notwithstanding the above, no vehicle that is too long and/or too wide to be parked within a single designated parking space shall be parked in such a space which is designated for angle parking.
From http://www.nyc.gov/html/dot/downloads/pdf/trafrule.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
Also parking is permitted if it is not prohibited by posted signs as long as you don't violate any other rules.

Zigner

Also parking is permitted if it is not prohibited by posted signs as long as you don't violate any other rules.
OP's asking about parking perpendicular to the curb when there are no markings allowing it. The rule s/he'd be violating is the one I posted.

HighwayMan

OP's asking about parking perpendicular to the curb when there are no markings allowing it. The rule s/he'd be violating is the one I posted.
Indeed. I need to be more careful reading at times.

Problem with that statute is it may not be something so easy to write if there is no violation code for it on the NYC parking violations cheat card. I don't have one in front of me but I'll have a look shortly.

Zigner

Indeed. I need to be more careful reading at times.

Problem with that statute is it may not be something so easy to write if there is no violation code for it on the NYC parking violations cheat card. I don't have one in front of me but I'll have a look shortly.
That's why I expect that the parking folks may be more likely to write this ticket...they deal with those matters day-in and day-out, whereas the average police officer doesn't.

HighwayMan

Yes, but angled parking is not a very common violation in NYC, even for very experience writers.

HighwayMan

Found it, it's code "59":

https://www1.nyc.gov/site/finance/vehicles/services-violation-codes.page

If it's found there it should be on the parking reference card that's distributed throughout the city to all enforcement agencies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">