• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who can put up a No Parking Sign?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

dmillerss

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

The business I was working at has a locked gate in front of the (rarely used) adjacent storage yard. In order to prevent people from blocking the gate, the building owner attached "No Parking" sign to his fence. I was accustomed to parking in front of this gate, and was surprised to find a Parking Ticket on my windshield. When a private individual takes it upon himself to post a "No Parking" sign, can the Police enforce this sign by issuing Parking Tickets?

Thx in advance ... DMiller

Just Blue

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maryland

The business I was working at has a locked gate in front of the (rarely used) adjacent storage yard. In order to prevent people from blocking the gate, the building owner attached "No Parking" sign to his fence. I was accustomed to parking in front of this gate, and was surprised to find a Parking Ticket on my windshield. When a private individual takes it upon himself to post a "No Parking" sign, can the Police enforce this sign by issuing Parking Tickets?

Thx in advance ... DMiller
Is this company owned property?

Do you think that if you were to become "accustomed to parking" in your neighbors "rarely used" driveway ...Don't you think you just "might" get a ticket...or a tow?

tranquility

An owner can post his own property. He would need the government to post on the street in front of the business. While I did not look up your state, I suspect that you can't park on the street blocking the driveway; posted or not.

justalayman

apparently the guy writing tickets accepts it as an official sign or it brought your illegal parking to his attention and he wrote you a ticket.

The business I was working at has a locked gate in front of the (rarely used) adjacent storage yard. In order to prevent people from blocking the gate, the building owner attached "No Parking" sign to his fence. I was accustomed to parking in front of this gate, and was surprised to find a Parking Ticket on my windshield. When a private individual takes it upon himself to post a "No Parking" sign, can the Police enforce this sign by is
consider yourself lucky. I would have just fired you

dmillerss

apparently the guy writing tickets accepts it as an official sign or it brought your illegal parking to his attention and he wrote you a ticket.

consider yourself lucky. I would have just fired you
Actually it's not really a driveway; it's a double-gated entrance to a storage area. But my question is still unanswered: it it's not an "official sign" can I be ticketed?

justalayman

Actually it's not really a driveway; it's a double-gated entrance to a storage area. But my question is still unanswered: it it's not an "official sign" can I be ticketed?
well, if there is a gate and it is an entrance, it is a driveway. but make it easy; provide a google maps link to the site.

and can you be ticketed if it is not an official sign: well, if it is not an official sign, apparently you can.

are you saying you cannot determine if it is a sign such as the local authorities would put up? They tend to be pretty hard to mistake for a sign you by from the local hardware store. Have you bothered to call the local authorities that would be in charge of sign placement and asked if they put up the sign?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">