• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Who Pays the Towing Cost after an Accident?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ruoudantocxo

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California
My friend was driving a tractor-trailer when he struck a concrete barrier. The truck was stuck on top of the barrier and the towing company X was called to get it off. My friend asked how much it would cost to tow the truck. He was told $275. No labor or other costs were discussed. Then he told Company X to tow it to the local Volvo dealership.
After a few minutes work Company X got the truck off and towed it to its yard a few miles away. Company X then notified my friend that he would have to pay $4,070 in labor costs figured at 11 cents a pound, in addition to the towing charge.
1.What are the legal issues in this case?
2. Is my friend responsible for paying the additional labor costs in this matter?

CdwJava

Your friend's insurance carrier may be responsible for the tow.

Your friend might want to contact the local CHP office and find out what the going rate is for existing CHP tow contracts and whether the per pound rate is typical or not. These contracts are often the basis for what is considered reasonable for a particular area.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
I don't know... $275 for a heavy duty tow seems very cheap. I would have been suspicious about that price. But 4k seems ridiculous.

OHRoadwarrior

It sounds like your friend was confused. I cannot imagine a towing company doing anything beyond pulling the truck off the wall for $275. The remainder sounds like a minimum charge due to the mileage. Depending on the damage, to truck and trailer, that could be very reasonable. I gather it was taken to the yard, because he owns his own truck and they were concerned about collection.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">