• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will my son lose his license?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

noregistration

What is the name of your state? OH

Somehow I forgot to renew my vehicle registration and my 16 year old son got a ticket for driving the car. Is this a moving or non-moving violation? He is required to go to juvenile court and I fear he will lose his license for my mistake. Ohio Law says two tickets but his driver's ed instructor told them that Warren County only allows one ticket before suspending juvenile's licenses. I can't find info online anywhere. Court date is two weeks away.

acmb05

noregistration said:
What is the name of your state? OH

Somehow I forgot to renew my vehicle registration and my 16 year old son got a ticket for driving the car. Is this a moving or non-moving violation? He is required to go to juvenile court and I fear he will lose his license for my mistake. Ohio Law says two tickets but his driver's ed instructor told them that Warren County only allows one ticket before suspending juvenile's licenses. I can't find info online anywhere. Court date is two weeks away.
Well I searched and searched and nowhere did I find where driving a car would be considered a non-moving violation.

As for the ticket go to court and explain it to the judge and show him your new and improved updated registration you never know you might get lucky and have it dismissed.

noregistration

That's our current plan

We, of course, are going to court hoping to just pay the fine for my mistake. Just trying to find information on whether this will affect his probationary license and insurance rates.

Got the non-moving info from Findlaw.com and was hoping it was correct since it was only expired for two months:

"In many states, penalties for driving a vehicle whose registration has expired will increase the longer the registration has lapsed. For example, if the vehicle's registration expired less than 6 months ago, the infraction might be considered a non-moving violation. But if the vehicle's registration expired more than 6 months ago, the offense may be considered a moving violation, which shows up as "points" on a driving record, and may lead to increased automobile insurance rates."

CdwJava

I cannot imagine that a licensed driver driving an expired vehicle would lose his license - especially when driving a vehicle not registered to him. Unless he was cited for some form of bad driving, I would not worry too much.

However, I am not from your state and am not aware of the point system used by your state's DMV. If you are truly that concerned you might consider consulting a traffic attorney to ask what the ramifications for the boy might be.

- Carl

CdwJava

I found this:

§ 4510.31. Suspension of probationary or restricted license or temporary instruction permit; juvenile driver improvement programs.

(A) (1) Except as provided in division (C) of this section, the registrar of motor vehicles shall suspend the probationary driver's license, restricted license, or temporary instruction permit issued to any person when the person has been convicted of, pleaded guilty to, or been adjudicated in juvenile court of having committed, prior to the person's eighteenth birthday, any of the following:

(a) Three separate violations of section 2903.06, 2903.08, 2921.331 [2921.33.1], 4511.12, 4511.13, 4511.15, 4511.191 [4511.19.1], 4511.20, 4511.201 [4511.20.1], 4511.202 [4511.20.2], 4511.21, 4511.22, 4511.23, 4511.25 to 4511.48, 4511.57 to 4511.65, 4511.75, 4549.02, 4549.021 [4549.02.1], or 4549.03 of the Revised Code, section 4510.14 of the Revised Code involving a suspension imposed under section 4511.191 [4511.19.1] or 4511.196 [4511.19.1] of the Revised Code, section 2903.04 of the Revised Code in a case in which the person would have been subject to the sanctions described in division (D) of that section had the person been convicted of the violation of that section, former section 2903.07 of the Revised Code, or any municipal ordinances similarly relating to the offenses referred to in those sections;

(b) One violation of section 4511.19 of the Revised Code or a substantially similar municipal ordinance;

(c) Two separate violations of any of the Revised Code sections referred to in division (A)(1)(a) of this section, or any municipal ordinance that is substantially similar to any of those sections.

See if his violation code is in there ... I do not think it is.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">