• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Worried about unpaid parking ticket in NJ...i cant find information anywhere!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

mickie22

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey, Essex County
I receieved a parking ticket last year for a parking violation. :( I was parked in a no parking zone i think but i cant remeber exactly what it was. Anyway, i had DELAWARE plates since i used to live in Delaware. I never paid the ticket. I now live in NJ and want to register my car in NJ but am worried abnout this unpaid ticket. I want to pay this ticket, but i am scared tha tmy lisence will be suspended or something. :( Can they suspend my license or prevent me to register my car in NJ? :confused: Does anybody know what kind of late fees I'll be facing.....in general what are going to be the consequences of my not payingthis ticket.? :confused: :confused:

JETX

First, ignore 'pimento'. He has no legal education or experience. With that, lets try to give you a real answer.....

"I receieved a parking ticket last year for a parking violation. I was parked in a no parking zone i think but i cant remeber exactly what it was. Anyway, i had DELAWARE plates since i used to live in Delaware. I never paid the ticket. I now live in NJ and want to register my car in NJ but am worried abnout this unpaid ticket. I want to pay this ticket, but i am scared tha tmy lisence will be suspended or something.

"Can they suspend my license or prevent me to register my car in NJ?"
*** Yes they can, but it would be extremely unlikely that this would happen over a non-moving (parking) violation.... especially considering that it was from out-of-state. Most states comply with what is called the 'Non Resident Violators Compact' that allows an out-of-state violation to be noted in your home state, but that does not apply to non-moving violations.... also, it is 'going the wrong way' (ticket in home state, transfer to new state).

"Does anybody know what kind of late fees I'll be facing.....in general what are going to be the consequences of my not payingthis ticket.?"
*** Fines are very localized. You will have to check with the local court as to what the fine (and late fees/penalties) may be.

JETX

ptlmejo said:
And, no, you can't suspend someone's out-of-state plates.
First off... that isn't even a question in this thread.... except in your own mind. The questions have to do with a LICENSE being possibly suspended!! The only thing that even references a plate is the statement "Can they .... prevent me to register my car in NJ?". And the clear answer to that is YES, the DMV (or equivalent agency) CAN prevent registration in certain cases.... though not likely in THIS case.
Please give us the benefit of your wisdom and tell us where the issue of 'suspending license plates' is even raised in this thread, other than your own post.

Second, if the issue was relevant, 'they' (a state) CAN suspend a vehicles registration (plates) for a ticket from another state. However, as noted in my post, it can't happen in THIS case as the violation would not be subject to the NRVC.

You really are dumb as a rock, huh??

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">