• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong address in "blocking driveway" ticket.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lfc1111

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

A few days ago, I, without noticing, I parked my car in front of a driveway, and meant to leave it there for several days. As it turns out, the car was towed on the second day. That's fair, my bad.
However, in addition to paying for for the towing, I also got two tickets for blocking a driveway (one each day). The driveway is an entrance to a empty lot, so it doesn't have an address. The police put in the ticket instead, the address across the street (it says: in front of ...).

Can I fight the tickets on the basis of having the wrong address? I could snap pictures of the whole block to show that "in front of address x" there is no driveway entrance. (the driveway was actually across the st.).

CSO286

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York.

A few days ago, I, without noticing, I parked my car in front of a driveway, and meant to leave it there for several days. As it turns out, the car was towed on the second day. That's fair, my bad.
However, in addition to paying for for the towing, I also got two tickets for blocking a driveway (one each day). The driveway is an entrance to a empty lot, so it doesn't have an address. The police put in the ticket instead, the address across the street (it says: in front of ...).

Can I fight the tickets on the basis of having the wrong address? I could snap pictures of the whole block to show that "in front of address x" there is no driveway entrance. (the driveway was actually across the st.).
Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not even if... ... ...

Why? Becasue the intent and meaning is clear.

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Not even if... ... ...

Why? Becasue the intent and meaning is clear.
I would disagree ... seems like he could take pics and show that there is no driveway & hence no violation.

why not? Intent? Intent is meaningless; actions are dispositive. The cop made a mistake and it may lead to a not guilty finding. Happens every day.

You Are Guilty

yes. In Brooklyn.
I've seen this go both ways, so no idea what the PVB's official policy is. I believe (based on personal experience), they are supposed to write "across (or opposite) from" if they use an address on the opposite side of the street for place of occurrence, but I have not yet been able to find any legal support for that belief.

{edit}
This may prove somewhat helpful:
http://www.newyorkparkingticket.com/Blog/bid/30834/A-Secret-Revealed-about-Place-of-Occurrence-on-a-NYC-Parking-Ticket
I would disagree ... seems like he could take pics and show that there is no driveway & hence no violation.
Are you having difficulty comprehending plain English? He admitted blocking an existing driveway.

Last edited:

lfc1111

Are you having difficulty comprehending plain English? He admitted blocking an existing driveway.
Sure. But I've read online a lot of examples in which tickets have been dismissed because of technicalities, such as car color info, not based on actually not doing the offense.

if I fight it, I'm not going to say "yes I parked it there". The question is, can I say "look at the picture, there's no driveway there". and that's all I'm saying, not a word about where I think I parked it. That's for the officer to have got the correct information.

He admitted it here ... he can still plead a defense, yes? There's another chest pain!!!!!!

If you have a better defense let the OP know. Admitting guilt is not a defense by the way.

I comprendo muchacha !

You Are Guilty

I have posted rather detailed information here on how to contest NYC parking tickets for oh, the last 5+ years. I have also posted, in this very thread, a link to further information concerning the exact issue the OP is facing. What precisely have you provided?

I have posted rather detailed information here on how to contest NYC parking tickets for oh, the last 5+ years. I have also posted, in this very thread, a link to further information concerning the exact issue the OP is facing. What precisely have you provided?
More than you have.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We really need some sort of advanced warning system so people don't have to waste time researching post histories every time.
Agreed - but in lieu of that, we'll just have to keep on top of it when they pop up.

Whack-a-Mole comes to mind...

We really need some sort of advanced warning system so people don't have to waste time researching post histories every time.
Like yours wasting time telling the OP information they already know. It was only I who told him he has a defense. Move along to your next useless input into a thread.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">