• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wrong address on Parking ticket, Los Angeles

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

1firefly

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

So this is nuts. I received a Los Angeles parking ticket by mail stating that my vehicle was parked in a handicap/cross hatched zone two weeks ago (which it wasn't) and the ticket says it was mailed because I apparently drove off before the ticket could be put on my car... here's where it gets interesting, first, the address is a street that does not exist, "La Bera".

Second, I called the parking enforcement bureau and the rep said it may have been a typo for "La Brea" - well, ok, I guessed as much, but I asked which "La Brea" is the ticket for? North, South, Street, Avenue, etc...there are 7 different La Brea streets with the matching address # in LA County. And looking on google's street view, not any of them have a disabled parking spot.

Third, the Parking Enforcement rep told me that someone had tried to change the name of the street to a totally different street name (I don't know which street, but she said it was not La Brea at all and that I should challenge the ticket) at some point after the ticket was issued. However the letter I received was dated two days after the ticket was issued and the ticket still shows "La Bera" as the place of the alleged violation, so it begs the question when this change was attempted, and doesn't that immediately invalidate the ticket?

This seems like a scam, the ticket does not have my VIN, only my license plate # and again the attendant claims I "drove off" before the ticket could be given, so it seems obvious the attendant never approached my vehicle.

This is a really expensive ticket and my work schedule is hectic, so I'd like to get it dismissed right out rather than having to start a long battle... The phone rep suggested I use the online form to contest the ticket, so how should I phrase my challenge to this ticket?

Do I just point out the non-existent street and that even allowing for the Bera/Brea typo, there are 7 possible addresses matching that location and not one has a handicap spot for my vehicle to have been parked in?

Or should I also bring up the attempt to change the location entirely after the fact (which I only know from calling in, not from the ticket I received in the mail)?

thanks for any advice!!

CdwJava

The first step is to contest the ticket through the procedures provided by the issuing agency. Absent a specific location AND the last four digits of the VIN, an argument can potentially be made that the parking cite failed to comply with the requirements of VC 40202. Whether that will suffice is anyone's guess.

The first level of hearing will likely be with an individual or a panel selected to hear challenges. They may require only a written challenge, or, you may be permitted to appear in person. If you disagree with the findings, you can appeal it through the procedures in place which may be very similar to the first challenge. After that, you will have the option to take the matter to the Superior Court to be heard by a judge. If the notice is deficient for location and VIN you may prevail there if you do not prevail at the lower levels.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">