• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong date on ticket. Can I fight it?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

NYorker

What is the name of your state? NY

Got parking ticket on 27th of April. But hand written ticket reads clearly 26th of April. Is there any defense? Police officer put wrong date. There were 2 people besides me in the car, they can submit statement that they saw police officer affixing ticket to my car on 27th of April.

There are no witnesses to confirm my whereabouts on the 26th of April. I didn't get any ticket's on 26th of April.
I don't have any defense other than this wrong date on ticket. Can I fight it?

Funny, the ticket was given for double parking while I was unloading a dozen of helium baloons. Apparently, I could not "put" them on the ground and just leave. Had to go to the house and put it inside... When I got back to the car, sat in driver's seat and started the engine, I heard voice from police loudspeaker "Too late. Stay in the car":) I don't think I should try "helium baloon" defense....:)

XNavyLT

Mistakes are allowed to be made. I'm guessing the car info was correct? So there no way you can show that it wasn't YOUR CAR that was there. There's no defense, just pay the ticket. Even cops make and are allowed some latitude in making mistakes. Its not like he just made the double parking thing up, and used your car, and plate# out of the blue.

You can always take it to whatever authority you have to try to get the fine reduced, but is it worth it to you?

You Are Guilty

Unless double parking was legal on the 25th (and not the 27th), then the incorrect/correct date won't be much help to your defense.

Check to see if it has any other flaws and if not, time to pay up :)

NYorker

24 days have elapsed since the day this ticket was issued. I want to pay, but it still did not appear in online system... 6 more days and penalties will start to accrue... I had always paid online, it usually appears in the system in a week... What do I do?

If it will appear in the online system after 30 days, do I still have to pay the ticket and penalties?
Ticket is handwritten.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the exact section you were ticketed for violating?

What is the name of your state? NY

Got parking ticket on 27th of April. But hand written ticket reads clearly 26th of April. Is there any defense? Police officer put wrong date. There were 2 people besides me in the car, they can submit statement that they saw police officer affixing ticket to my car on 27th of April.

There are no witnesses to confirm my whereabouts on the 26th of April. I didn't get any ticket's on 26th of April.
I don't have any defense other than this wrong date on ticket. Can I fight it?

Funny, the ticket was given for double parking while I was unloading a dozen of helium baloons. Apparently, I could not "put" them on the ground and just leave. Had to go to the house and put it inside... When I got back to the car, sat in driver's seat and started the engine, I heard voice from police loudspeaker "Too late. Stay in the car":) I don't think I should try "helium baloon" defense....:)

NYorker

What is the exact section you were ticketed for violating?
The ticket reads "46 $115 Double Parking (f)(1)". Again, I don't think I should fight it, the car was double parked all right.

Any thoughts as to what means the absense of the ticket in the City on-line system: http://nycserv.nyc.gov/NYCServInquiry/NYCSERVMain

Is it unusual or normal?

Is it possible the cop lost the ticket of forgot to enter it into the system or anything else? It's only 4 days left to pay up, but I don't even have checks.... Who needs personal checks in 21st century....

If the ticket shows up in the system after 30th day, what is gonna happen?

Nothing to brag about, but I pay about $2K worth parking tickets a year, always on-line, I can testify that each and every parking ticket appeared in the system in maximum 2 weeks after violation...

1) You are able to pay without the ticket being in the system.

2) You should dispute the ticket and request for a reduced fine. It should lower your ticket to $90. This usually lowers most fines (I haven't seen a pump ticket lowered though)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">