+ Reply to Thread
    NYorker is offline Junior Member

Wrong date on ticket. Can I fight it?

What is the name of your state? NY

Got parking ticket on 27th of April. But hand written ticket reads clearly 26th of April. Is there any defense? Police officer put wrong date. There were 2 people besides me in the car, they can submit statement that they saw police officer affixing ticket to my car on 27th of April.

There are no witnesses to confirm my whereabouts on the 26th of April. I didn't get any ticket's on 26th of April.
    I don't have any defense other than this wrong date on ticket. Can I fight it?

Funny, the ticket was given for double parking while I was unloading a dozen of helium baloons. Apparently, I could not "put" them on the ground and just leave. Had to go to the house and put it inside... When I got back to the car, sat in driver's seat and started the engine, I heard voice from police loudspeaker "Too late. Stay in the car" I don't think I should try "helium baloon" defense....
    XNavyLT is offline Member
    Mistakes are allowed to be made. I'm guessing the car info was correct? So there no way you can show that it wasn't YOUR CAR that was there. There's no defense, just pay the ticket. Even cops make and are allowed some latitude in making mistakes. Its not like he just made the double parking thing up, and used your car, and plate# out of the blue.

You can always take it to whatever authority you have to try to get the fine reduced, but is it worth it to you?
    You Are Guilty is offline Senior Member
    Unless double parking was legal on the 25th (and not the 27th), then the incorrect/correct date won't be much help to your defense.

Check to see if it has any other flaws and if not, time to pay up
    Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility
    Once you get to crazy land, it is only a guess on how to get out.
    Why if the officer writes the wrong address, the case is dismissed, but not if the officer writes the wrong day?
    moburkes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceCharming View Post
    Why if the officer writes the wrong address, the case is dismissed, but not if the officer writes the wrong day?
    Each ticket is numbered. The mistake of the date can be verified by the numbering system, unless the officer is giving tickets out of order.
    My new signature:
    Originally Posted by arazi
    I'll take you on one-to-one in a volcabulary test anywhere, anyplace, anytime.
    24 days have elapsed since the day this ticket was issued. I want to pay, but it still did not appear in online system... 6 more days and penalties will start to accrue... I had always paid online, it usually appears in the system in a week... What do I do?

If it will appear in the online system after 30 days, do I still have to pay the ticket and penalties?
    Ticket is handwritten.
    Zigner is offline Senior Member
    What is the exact section you were ticketed for violating?

Quote Originally Posted by NYorker View Post
    What is the name of your state? NY

Got parking ticket on 27th of April. But hand written ticket reads clearly 26th of April. Is there any defense? Police officer put wrong date. There were 2 people besides me in the car, they can submit statement that they saw police officer affixing ticket to my car on 27th of April.

There are no witnesses to confirm my whereabouts on the 26th of April. I didn't get any ticket's on 26th of April.
    I don't have any defense other than this wrong date on ticket. Can I fight it?

Funny, the ticket was given for double parking while I was unloading a dozen of helium baloons. Apparently, I could not "put" them on the ground and just leave. Had to go to the house and put it inside... When I got back to the car, sat in driver's seat and started the engine, I heard voice from police loudspeaker "Too late. Stay in the car" I don't think I should try "helium baloon" defense....
    Quote Originally Posted by Zigner View Post
    What is the exact section you were ticketed for violating?
    The ticket reads "46 $115 Double Parking (f)(1)". Again, I don't think I should fight it, the car was double parked all right.

Any thoughts as to what means the absense of the ticket in the City on-line system: [url]http://nycserv.nyc.gov/NYCServInquiry/NYCSERVMain[/url]

Is it unusual or normal?

Is it possible the cop lost the ticket of forgot to enter it into the system or anything else? It's only 4 days left to pay up, but I don't even have checks.... Who needs personal checks in 21st century....

If the ticket shows up in the system after 30th day, what is gonna happen?

Nothing to brag about, but I pay about $2K worth parking tickets a year, always on-line, I can testify that each and every parking ticket appeared in the system in maximum 2 weeks after violation...
    1) You are able to pay without the ticket being in the system.

2) You should dispute the ticket and request for a reduced fine. It should lower your ticket to $90. This usually lowers most fines (I haven't seen a pump ticket lowered though)
    Quote Originally Posted by PrinceCharming View Post
    1) You are able to pay without the ticket being in the system.
    Thank you. It turns out that NY on-line system allows one to pay for any ticket with any number, even 123456789. It accepted the money all right and sent confirmation to my e-mail address.