• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong Direction violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ffej1953

What is the name of your state? MA

Is there a law against backing into or pulling through a parking space in a parking lot. I do this all the time at the mall and never receive a ticket, however, on the little island of Martha's Vineyard the officers sit in wait for an unexpecting visitor to pull through a space, or back into a space, then issue a ticket as soon as they are out of sight. It's only $10, but it's the principal of the issue. The spots are angled, so maybe they do have a legal right, but how can something so commonly accepted everywhere else be enforced in this one little parking lot on this one little island. It's got to be a money maker. Just doesn't seem fair.

The Occultist

*shrug* One of the most basic things you can find in a driver's manual: you are not allowed to cross solid white lines. Just out of curiosity, how were those parking spots separated? ;)

Ozark_Sophist

The defensive driving course I took before I was bonded (private eye ;)) taught drivers to always back into or pull through a parking space when safe, even angled spaces if it is a two way lane. A parking space is a defined area with less or no pedestrian or vehicular traffic, so it safer to back in than back out into a driving lane.

OP, is it a public parking lot or private? Are the officers public or private?

ffej1953

The configuration of the parking lot has just been changed and the lines were just painted in a week ago. It is a town lot and they are town traffic officers. They have created parking spots that are nearly impossible to swing into with a truck or SUV, so it was easier for me to go past the parking spot and back into it, rather than to back up into the on-coming traffic and get a wider swing. It's only a $10 ticket, but I see the officers standing there all day writing these tickets and it just doesn't seem fair. I happen to live here, however, most of the people here this time of year are visitors and it's just a nasty way to greet a new face. I guess I need to call my selectmen. I'm sure the law is on their side, but just wanted to check with the experts to see if I had any recourse. Also, when I park on the mainland in Woods Hole, the parking lot is private but they require you to back into your spot...it's all very confusing and I guess 30 years ago when I last read the driver's manual I missed the part on illegal parking in parking spaces...

ffej1953

I just want to add that I did go to Massachusetts RMV driver's manual and it states that you cannot park in the wrong direction against traffic. I was not parked along the street facing the wrong direction, I backed into a parking spot that backs up to a median, parking is perpendicular to the median. I don't see this as "facing the wrong way against traffic." There was nothing in the manual about backing into a parking space, or pulling through a a space. They've been writing these tickets for years in this lot and I would like to make them stop. I live in this town, and I love this town...I even like the police officers, but I hate watching them create ill-will with so many people and making money on something that isn't quite fair. Thanks for input. If I'm wrong, please let me know and I'll pay my fine and be done with it.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You had to travel against traffic in order to park in your spot. Whether you were reversing at the time or not is irrelevant.

Ozark_Sophist

You had to travel against traffic in order to park in your spot. Whether you were reversing at the time or not is irrelevant.
And explain to me how you back out of a space without traveling against traffic. Or better yet, how to parallel park without reversing up against traffic.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">