• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong information listed on my citation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bananasuit

What is the name of your state? California

I was cited by a bicycle cop in Los Angeles for not wearing a seatbelt, but the cop instead cited me for not notifying the DMV for my change of address (when I moved to LA) and got a warning for the seatbelt. The thing is, he got a few bits of information wrong; my Driver Liscense Number, the state, and my age (though he got my birthday right). He also wrote down the wrong date. I've since left LA (I was only there for the summer). Anyone know if I'm technically obliged to take care of this since he copied down the informaton incorrectly?

The Occultist

You are obliged, yes. Officers are generally given leeway with this in order to make sure murderers don't get off just because the wrong date was put down (extreme example, but just trying to make my point).

Another member will be along shortly to tell you that you could take this to court and use the poorly filled-out citation as proof of the LEO's incompetence, which may suggest he was unable to properly ascertain that a crime was committed. I can't vouch for that, but I'm just saving him a step! :D

bananasuit

The Occultist said:
You are obliged, yes. Officers are generally given leeway with this in order to make sure murderers don't get off just because the wrong date was put down (extreme example, but just trying to make my point).

Another member will be along shortly to tell you that you could take this to court and use the poorly filled-out citation as proof of the LEO's incompetence, which may suggest he was unable to properly ascertain that a crime was committed. I can't vouch for that, but I'm just saving him a step! :D
My problem is that I've already moved out of the state - I was only in CA for 3 months, and whenever I tried to get information about the ticket, the website gave me bad information, and the phone lines were too busy. My question is, if they don't have my actual driver's liscense number or state, are they even able to get ahold of me?

The Occultist

You can test it and see, but if it doesn't work out in your favor you could be screwing yourself over. I cannot advise such.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">