• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong License Plate Number

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Blizzardofoz63

What is the name of your state? New York

I know this question has probably been answered already but I can't find a post like mine.

I got a parking ticket outside of my apartment on a road that is only marked on the opposite side of the street. The license plate number on the ticket is wrong too, the officer mistook 5 for an 8. There is no registration information on the portion of the ticket that I have other than the expiration date. All of the other information on the ticket is correct.

I was just curious if I should respond, and how they would find me if I didn't? Do the cops take information that is not shown on the ticket? And if I don't ignore it and contest it do I have a case at all? I didn't know that I could not park on that side of the road at that time and would love to get out of the ticket.

Thanks

seniorjudge

Blizzardofoz63 said:
What is the name of your state? New York

I know this question has probably been answered already but I can't find a post like mine.

I got a parking ticket outside of my apartment on a road that is only marked on the opposite side of the street. The license plate number on the ticket is wrong too, the officer mistook 5 for an 8. There is no registration information on the portion of the ticket that I have other than the expiration date. All of the other information on the ticket is correct.

I was just curious if I should respond, and how they would find me if I didn't? Do the cops take information that is not shown on the ticket? And if I don't ignore it and contest it do I have a case at all? I didn't know that I could not park on that side of the road at that time and would love to get out of the ticket.

Thanks
Q: I was just curious if I should respond, and how they would find me if I didn't?

A: They may find you via the other info on the ticket.

Q: Do the cops take information that is not shown on the ticket?

A: Yes.

Q: And if I don't ignore it and contest it do I have a case at all?

A: Not if you were parked in a no-parking zone.

Blizzardofoz63

It isn't a no parking zone, but I was parked there during hours that I wasn't supposed to be (or so the ticket says) but like I said that side of the road isn't marked.

Thanks again

seniorjudge

Blizzardofoz63 said:
It isn't a no parking zone, but I was parked there during hours that I wasn't supposed to be (or so the ticket says) but like I said that side of the road isn't marked.

Thanks again
Here's one definition of "no parking zone": "...I was parked there during hours that I wasn't supposed to be...."

Hey, when I was in law school, I scofflawed a parking ticket in [NAME OF CITY DELETED] and am still afraid to go back to [NAME OF STATE DELETED]. Of course, that was a hundred years ago so maybe they've forgotten about it by now.:D

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
seniorjudge said:
Here's one definition of "no parking zone": "...I was parked there during hours that I wasn't supposed to be...."

Hey, when I was in law school, I scofflawed a parking ticket in [NAME OF CITY DELETED] and am still afraid to go back to [NAME OF STATE DELETED]. Of course, that was a hundred years ago so maybe they've forgotten about it by now.:D
Dang. Did you report that to character committee when you sat for the bar? :D

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">