• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrong License Plate on Ticket

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ppazz13

What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I recently received a ticket for parking within 3' of a driveway on a city street. However, the ticket has one digit of my license plate wrong. I obviously figured I should fight it. How do I go about pleading my case to the traffic court? Also, what would happen if I just simply did not respond to the ticket? It has the wrong license plate, so how would they contact or identify me? And one more thing... should I tell the courts before I plead not guilty, or do you think they would doctor the original to correct the digit?

Thanks for the help!

seniorjudge

ppazz13 said:
What is the name of your state? Pennsylvania

I recently received a ticket for parking within 3' of a driveway on a city street. However, the ticket has one digit of my license plate wrong. I obviously figured I should fight it. How do I go about pleading my case to the traffic court? Also, what would happen if I just simply did not respond to the ticket? It has the wrong license plate, so how would they contact or identify me? And one more thing... should I tell the courts before I plead not guilty, or do you think they would doctor the original to correct the digit?

Thanks for the help!
Why do you think the wrong tag number means you are not guilty?

ppazz13

seniorjudge said:
Why do you think the wrong tag number means you are not guilty?
While I am guilty of the parking violation, I want to contest the ticket in court because of the incorrect information on it. I have heard that you can contest this in court and get it dismissed.

seniorjudge

ppazz13 said:
While I am guilty of the parking violation, I want to contest the ticket in court because of the incorrect information on it. I have heard that you can contest this in court and get it dismissed.
Then plead not guilty and have a trial and see what happens.

racer72

ppazz13 said:
Only if the information prevents you from presenting a valid defense to the citation. In you case, you would need to provide a picture of the vehicle with the license plate number on the ticket and a picture of your vehicle to show the ticket was left on the wrong vehicle.

ppazz13

seniorjudge said:
Then plead not guilty and have a trial and see what happens.
Are you hinting that I would still be found guilty? You seem angry that I want to get out of this ticket. However, you don't even know the circumstances of the violation.

I just want to know if it will be dismissed or not. While I understand that the ticket was presented on my car because of the way it was parked, there is a flaw in the information. While you may not like the idea of getting off of a violation for that reason, that is the way our system works sometimes. Look at the fact that evidence can be thrown out in court because of the nature in which it was obtained.

As for my ticket, I do not believe I deserved it in the first place. I was within 3' of a driveway, but I was not obstructing it in any way. Additionally, no yellow curb was present (I believe the old cement had been chunked away over the years and the paint was not visible anymore). I have a picture of my car from the site after I had backed it up the full 3'.

seniorjudge

ppazz13 said:
Are you hinting that I would still be found guilty? You seem angry that I want to get out of this ticket. However, you don't even know the circumstances of the violation.

I just want to know if it will be dismissed or not. While I understand that the ticket was presented on my car because of the way it was parked, there is a flaw in the information. While you may not like the idea of getting off of a violation for that reason, that is the way our system works sometimes. Look at the fact that evidence can be thrown out in court because of the nature in which it was obtained.

As for my ticket, I do not believe I deserved it in the first place. I was within 3' of a driveway, but I was not obstructing it in any way. Additionally, no yellow curb was present (I believe the old cement had been chunked away over the years and the paint was not visible anymore). I have a picture of my car from the site after I had backed it up the full 3'.

Angry? Hey, I got out of a parking ticket the very same way (wrong tag number) in the city of [city name deleted], but I knew I was taking a big chance.

Wait a minute...someone is knocking at my door. I'll go see who it is.

ppazz13

seniorjudge said:
Angry? Hey, I got out of a parking ticket the very same way (wrong tag number) in the city of [city name deleted], but I knew I was taking a big chance.

Wait a minute...someone is knocking at my door. I'll go see who it is.

Haha... well I want to take it to court. I don't want to just ignore it. I'm just saying that I want to know if it will get thrown out for sure because of that and how to approach the court. My mom had a speeding ticket thrown out because the officer didn't appear in court... she was still guilty, but got off on a technicality. I'm just trying to figure out the proper approach to this. Sorry if I offended you.

seniorjudge

ppazz13 said:
Haha... well I want to take it to court. I don't want to just ignore it. I'm just saying that I want to know if it will get thrown out for sure because of that and how to approach the court. My mom had a speeding ticket thrown out because the officer didn't appear in court... she was still guilty, but got off on a technicality. I'm just trying to figure out the proper approach to this. Sorry if I offended you.

My mom had a speeding ticket thrown out because the officer didn't appear in court... she was still guilty, but got off on a technicality.

The law is NOTHING BUT technicalities.

ppazz13

Well from all of my research, it sounds like the best bet is to go to the court to present my citation and note the error. Most people say that it will be thrown out on site.

seniorjudge

ppazz13 said:
Well from all of my research, it sounds like the best bet is to go to the court to present my citation and note the error. Most people say that it will be thrown out on site.
Post back with results.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">