• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

apple may took my idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hi, I emailed apple three years ago with a product idea. Now it just come to life. It almost has all the features I mentioned in the email and the idea is

just the same, I still has the email record, is there anything I can do with it?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Hi, I emailed apple three years ago with a product idea. Now it just come to life. It almost has all the features I mentioned in the email and the idea is

just the same, I still has the email record, is there anything I can do with it?
The idea of a smart-watch has been around for a lot longer than three years:

http://www.zdnet.com/before-the-iwatch-a-history-of-smartwatches-in-pictures-7000014026/

ETA: US Law Only - what is the name of your US state?

quincy

You need to tell us the name of your state or, if you are not located in the U.S., you need to tell us the name of your country.

That said, the answer to your question is "no." There is nothing you can do. Ideas are not rights-protectable without an agreement between the parties in advance of the disclosure of the idea.

So, you had the idea for a Dick Tracy type of watch, huh? :)

justalayman

Dang, there have been rumors about an "Iwatch" at least that long. You're a bit late for that train.

And dick Tracy? The wrist phone/radio was introduced in 1946.

quincy

Dang, there have been rumors about an "Iwatch" at least that long. You're a bit late for that train.

And dick Tracy? The wrist phone/radio was introduced in 1946.
The Brunetti watch was not nearly as stylish (or as cool) as the Dick Tracy watch, though. :)

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Does this OP REALLY think this idea is so unique, and he so talented, that ONLY he is bright enough to have come up with the idea? What makes him think that one of (or six of) Apple's designers didn't also come up with the idea independently? His unsolicited email almost certainly went into a junk mail folder.

FlyingRon

I can guarantee Apple threw your email away without forwarding it to anybody in the company capable of doing things with it. They have a specific policy for exactly this sort of thing where people think they've come up with a great idea but Apple already is developing it. A iOS writwatch is hardly novel patentable material. Further, disclosing it to Apple in an open manner pretty much RUINED whatever chance you had to patent it if it were otherwise novel and non-obvious.

quincy

Where in the OP was there a mention of a smart watch? lols
At the time this thread was created several months ago, the Apple idea for the watch had "just come to life," hence the discussion that followed.

I am not sure this thread was worth reviving, since the original poster has not returned to reveal the name of his state (or his country, as the case may be).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">