• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Big Idea

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Mac Beach

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I put an idea online over ten years ago. Someone has picked up on this and is developing it. It's pretty big, sort of along the line of the Facebook fiasco. I thought about contacting the CEO and seeing if I could get a sign off for a small amount of money. I think I could find witnesses, maybe screen shots...Not being greedy just pretty poor and feel like I should get a little compensation. Going public could make a bit of a rumble, however I don't want the individual to feel threatened in the least...I thought about trying to get them through compassion since I am pretty sure they picked this up directly...and it's sort of along the lines of being at a party and telling a bunch of people about this world changing idea you have, and then find out years later someone who was there is pursuing it....THoughts?

Basically I'm thinking if I can contact them, and they did run with the idea, they might set something up ...is it worth a shot?

quincy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Maine

I put an idea online over ten years ago. Someone has picked up on this and is developing it. It's pretty big, sort of along the line of the Facebook fiasco. I thought about contacting the CEO and seeing if I could get a sign off for a small amount of money. I think I could find witnesses, maybe screen shots...Not being greedy just pretty poor and feel like I should get a little compensation. Going public could make a bit of a rumble, however I don't want the individual to feel threatened in the least...I thought about trying to get them through compassion since I am pretty sure they picked this up directly...and it's sort of along the lines of being at a party and telling a bunch of people about this world changing idea you have, and then find out years later someone who was there is pursuing it....THoughts?

Basically I'm thinking if I can contact them, and they did run with the idea, they might set something up ...is it worth a shot?
My thought is that you are out-of-luck. Ideas not originally protected can be used by anyone.

FlyingRon

As Quincy points out, patents require the idea to be novel. Since you didn't patent it at the time (even if it had somehow otherwise met the other patentability requirements), you're opportunity for that is GONE.
You don't get any rights otherwise for coming up with the idea.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">