• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

New to Patent Law/ Computer Device

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thedude2014

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Hello, I'm seeking information on whether I would need a patent or not for a device that I have built. I have assembled what can most easily be described as a small computer. The completed unit consists of parts (hardware and peripherals) from various manufacturers and the software is all open source. My intentions is to sell this device to customers that are wanting to stream media from there home network or via the internet. If more information is needed please say.

Thank you

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kansas

Hello, I'm seeking information on whether I would need a patent or not for a device that I have built. I have assembled what can most easily be described as a small computer. The completed unit consists of parts (hardware and peripherals) from various manufacturers and the software is all open source. My intentions is to sell this device to customers that are wanting to stream media from there home network or via the internet. If more information is needed please say.

Thank you
Duplicate:

https://forum.freeadvice.com/computers-software-internet-law-10/media-streaming-device-605140.html

thedude2014

Apologize for duplicate post

Zigner,

Sorry if this did seem as I was reposting the same question.

I wasn't sure if there would be a difference from forming the business and using the product or just simply going after a patent if I decide to use it later for business purposes.

I can see how this is very related, so if I need to post this under the other forum post...please let me know and this can be deleted..Thanks!

quincy

Zigner,

Sorry if this did seem as I was reposting the same question.

I wasn't sure if there would be a difference from forming the business and using the product or just simply going after a patent if I decide to use it later for business purposes.

I can see how this is very related, so if I need to post this under the other forum post...please let me know and this can be deleted..Thanks!
You do not really need to add this to your other thread, thedude, because the issues you want help with are outside the scope of this forum.

As advised in your other thread, you will need to sit down with a professional in your area for a review of your plans. And, if you are thinking of a "patent," you would be smart not to discuss your idea on the internet. You will want to get confidentiality agreements signed before discussing your product with anyone other than an IP attorney you see.

Good luck.

quincy

Thank you both..very helpful! Take care
Well, we were not real helpful, I'm afraid, given the nature of your concerns - but we are limited in a forum setting as to what we can do and, in your case, we can only advise for your product plans that you seek a personal review by an attorney in your area.

Good luck with the product's development and sale, if you find you are able to develop and sell it legally (which could be a problem).

Thanks for the thanks. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">