• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Patented Methodology - Dissertation Research

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SylverMoon

What is the name of your state?New York

Hi Everyone,

Here's my situation:
I am a PhD student in Education in New York City. Somebody has patented a methodology for solving algebra problems with game pieces. I am interested in doing dissertation research comparing their methodology with one that I created that mirrors theirs (except it's on a computer and not involving physical game pieces.) I am interested in doing this for educational/research purposes, but I received a not-so-cordial letter from the company stating that they do not give me permission for me to continue my research. (I never asked permission from them in the first place, I had only mentioned that I was creating my own version on the computer for research purposes.) My questions are:

1. Even though it's for research/dissertation work, do they have the authority to tell me not to pursue my research because of the patent?

2. If it is possible for me to continue to do my research, would I be in trouble if I published it?

Any and all help would be appreciated. I would have gone to a patent lawyer directly, except that I am a broke, struggling, student :)

Thanks,
SylverMoon

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">