• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

3 Sisters

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cccrawford

What is the name of your state? Kentucky...
Father passed away in April 2006, without a Will. He was divorced with 3 daughters. Sister #1 was appointed Durable POA had her name put on Deed, used property as collateral for $50,000 loan. Sister #1 has seized the property, the house, all contents & personal items & changed locks on the house in which she lives. Sister #1 has filed an Affidavit of Desent & Affidavit of Exemption, which are currently in Probate. Sisters 2 & 3 found out about the POA after the fact, and were never informed of any of the above mentioned Affidavits. A slip of the tongue by another family member caused us to start questioning Sister #1's actions. Sisters 2 & 3 only want some of the PERSONAL items of our father but Sister #1 states "its' mine all mine" & that our father appointed her to distribute his belongings as she saw fit. Do Sisters 2 & 3 have any legal rights? I would like to add that the Sisters all Loved each other & got along very well before our father passed from Alzheimer.

anteater

.... Sisters 2 & 3 only want some of the PERSONAL items of our father but Sister #1 states "its' mine all mine" & that our father appointed her to distribute his belongings as she saw fit. Do Sisters 2 & 3 have any legal rights? I would like to add that the Sisters all Loved each other & got along very well before our father passed from Alzheimer.
Sure, they have legal rights. Everybody has the legal right to challenge actions taken by another.

The question is whether they want to spend the time and money to do it if all they are interested in is personal items. If Sister #1's actions and attitude are as you describe, it is likely to be a costly battle.

anteater

Is it legal for all the actions (sister#1 has taken) to take place with out the other sisters?
Not certain what you mean by "take place with out the other sisters."

It is likely that Sister #1 was engaged in self-dealing under the POA. And the stuff about "our father appointed her to distribute his belongings as she saw fit," when he died intestate, is gibberish.

Are Sisters #2 and #3 willing to retain an attorney and battle it out with Sister #1? If so, they better get on the stick and do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">