• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

50/50 Estate Car Dispute

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bojangles79!

What is the name of your state? New Mexico

I am involved in a probate in which the court appointed personal representative insists I owe my sister the difference in the appraised value of the vehicles. Both vehicles are part of the estate. Vehicle 1 is valued at $3000.00. Vehicle 2 is valued at $2500.00. My positions is that since I am an heir in a 50/50 estate that I own 50% of the difference in the appraised value. So, my check to my sister in order to buy Vehicle 1 should be $250.00 not $500.00. Am I missing something here?

divgradcurl

Am I missing something here?
No, your math is correct -- the tough part is trying to convince the personal rep he or she is wrong. You can try and convince them, but if you can't, well, it'll likely cost more then $250 to prove you are right, so you might want to just pay up and get things behind you.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">