• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

access dad's bank account

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kathy22152

What is the name of your state? california My dad opened 2 bank accounts in the Bank of America in Florida in 2000. He lived and banked at the Bank of America in Nevada for the past 5 years. He passed away last month and the Bank of America in Florida is telling me that I need a "court order" to access one of his accounts because it is not under the trust even though I have his letters in my possession asking them to put both accounts under the trust. I am trustee, executor and have power of attorney of the trust and his will. I know my Dad thought Bank of America was Bank of AMERICA not Bank of Florida and that I could access his accounts from any bank. He was very organized and thourough and if this account is not under the trust it is their error. The bank manager in Florida insinuated that i might as well "write off" the $2100. How do I get this "court order"? Is it the same as probate? Will it be hard to handle it from California? Help.

Dandy Don

Perhaps your question is not phrased correctly. Is this an online bank account and do you want to only "access" the account to make deposits and withdrawals or do you want to close the account out and be issued a check for what is left in it?

Did you show the bank your letters testamentary that officially authorize you to be executor and claim all assets? You need to be talking to a probate attorney in the same city or county as where the bank is located to get the court order for you--it is a very simple process.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

S

seniorjudge

Q: How do I get this "court order"?
A: You already have it. It is the letters issued to you as executor. Call the bank in florida and ask them to whom should you overnite a certified copy of these letters plus copies of all the other documents you mention in your post. You can get a certified copy of your letters from the probate court where the will is being probated.

kathy22152

Dandy Don said:
Perhaps your question is not phrased correctly. Is this an online bank account and do you want to only "access" the account to make deposits and withdrawals or do you want to close the account out and be issued a check for what is left in it?

Did you show the bank your letters testamentary that officially authorize you to be executor and claim all assets? You need to be talking to a probate attorney in the same city or county as where the bank is located to get the court order for you--it is a very simple process.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA ([email protected])

Soory, I want to close the account and put it another account I set up, to eventually distribute the funds among my brother and sisters. I have shown the Bank of America rep here all of the appropriate papers.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">