• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Access to medical records of deceased parent

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

leafleaf

Hi, my question is regarding access to medical records. I live in Texas and had my father pass away a couple of years ago. He had two kids (I'm one of them) and my half-sister was given power of attorney for him. He also died without a will.

Is it be possible to access my father's medical records? I was not told much about what was happening to him and I hardly knew anything about his illness. I am over 21 and so is my half-sister. Am I legally entitled to have access to my parent's medical records? Is there a process with HIPAA I'll have to go through (is this even possible)? Thanks in advance.

Hi, my question is regarding access to medical records. I live in Texas and had my father pass away a couple of years ago. He had two kids (I'm one of them) and my half-sister was given power of attorney for him. He also died without a will.

Is it be possible to access my father's medical records? I was not told much about what was happening to him and I hardly knew anything about his illness. I am over 21 and so is my half-sister. Am I legally entitled to have access to my parent's medical records? Is there a process with HIPAA I'll have to go through (is this even possible)? Thanks in advance.
Without speaking to Texas specifics: 1) the power of attorney ends on the death (generally) of your father; 2) the person who can probably access his medical records is the administrator (executor) of his estate.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">